The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1
billcarey

Beam Scale Recommendation

I'm considering buying a new beam scale and keeping my old RCBS 510 as a back up. What other type mechanical scales are you guys using? I'm not interested in buying electric.

Thanks,
bc
Old March 17, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2
BIGR

I have a RCBS 505 and a 10-10. The 10-10 is a step above the 505. I used it alot and still do even after I bought my RCBS digital scale. I set the 10-10 up as a back up and check every other 5th round or so to make sure the digital scale is still on its setting.

Trying to think, there was a company that made one that was high dollar. I don't know if it was Ohleur (spelling ?) or something similar to that name.
Old March 17, 2009, 07:37 PM   #3
wncchester

I fully agree that mechanical scales are superior for weighing powder charges but have to wonder why you wish to retire your present scale. It's about as good as they come, IMHO. Never heard of anyone keeping a digital close by to check on their tried and true beam scale!

The 1010 can weigh heavier things but, in my 45 years of using a previous version (Lyman M-5), I have NEVER used the expanded scale, above 505 grains, for reloading!

The maker of old Lyman scales and the more recent 505 and 1010 scales, and a few other old jewels such as the 310 and Dial-O-Matic, is/was Ohaus.
Old March 17, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
billcarey

I mainly want to be able to check light loads with two scales. The loads are 2.6 to 3.0 grains. Also, the 510 has the dial and changing a couple 10ths is hard to do without disturbing the beam. I'm going to be using the scale more often now for trickling a few single batches at a time and want to try the weights on top. The 510 is certainly a great scale though.

bc
Old March 17, 2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Inspector3711

I have a Redding No. 2 that sits on the shelf. I went electric because the Redding drives me nuts. I'll keep it in case I ever want to reload when the power is out. I live on the edge of the Cascade mountains and we lose power for a week sometimes.

My beef with this scale is with the tare system. It's a screw that you turn in and out to zero the scale. The problem is that if you bump into the scale and it slides, even 1/4" on your bench, the zero can change. You have to always be careful not to bump into it when weighing loads. If you do bump it you have to stop and check zero. If they tightened up the threads a little it would alleviate the problem. When the scale moves, the screw turns.

I bought the Lyman 1200 DPS 3 and it's just great.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:04 AM   #6
RidgwayCO

I've got an RCBS 1010 that I purchased years ago. I use it to cross check my digital scale, and for checking powder throws. A set of check weights completes the package. I'd get rid of the digital before the 1010.
Old March 19, 2009, 06:55 AM   #7
ryalred

I have a Dillon and just love it.
reloading -- addicted
Old March 19, 2009, 10:08 AM   #8
dlb435

The 5-10 you've got is a great scale. No need to get an other.