The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 1999, 09:33 PM   #1
JOE BANGKOK

Hi there, are any one knew or used GUNVAULT? I need you recommendation about it also how to take care of it. Is there any warranty of this product? I am very interesting to buy it one but I live in Bangkok Thailand. So, may be it very difficult to me if I have a problem with it and cannot send it back to USA. Any recommendation and advise are welcome. JOE BANGKOK
Old June 2, 1999, 09:52 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have one and use it for demonstrative purposes only (firearms safety) and if need be, can pop it open with a screwdriver and hammer. Personally, there is a simplex lock operated one which I think are more secure (and slightly cheaper). I'll repost when I find the name (I've got one in my office).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old June 3, 1999, 12:41 PM   #3
Joe 543

Wow!, Gary please tell more about your Gunvalt. I was thinking about getting one. But if you can pop it open with a screw driver forget it!

Joe
Old June 5, 1999, 09:47 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

The one I like is from Palmer Security Products. It's fabricated of 1/4" thick steel all the way around, including the door. The door is backed on three sides of the body by 3/8" thick (about 4" long and 1/2" wide) pieces of steel which makes it difficult to pound the door in or to force a screwdriver in for prying. It appears that they're glued in place and then welded (the glue used only to hold them in lieu of clamps). The dual locking bolts engage the bottom reinforcing piece of steel described earlier.

GunVault has a singular hook which engages a loop. While the concept of finger touch opening is nice, the execution of the lock is cheap compared to what Palmer did.

Palmer may be reached at 1-800-788-7725 or write them at 2930 N. Camplell Ave., Chicago, IL 60618. They also have a website, but I don't know where it is. If you find it, you'll see a picture of the box I'm talking about.

------------------

Old June 5, 1999, 01:30 PM   #5
SB

http://www.palmersecurity.com/
Old June 5, 1999, 03:06 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Gary, which model from Palmer Security did you describe? I don't see anything on their web site that is anywhere near as substantial as your description.
Old June 5, 1999, 08:01 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Model 6812. Looking at the literature, it's 3/16" and not 1/4" thick. Sorry folks.

------------------

Old June 5, 1999, 08:52 PM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Ah ha. That's still pretty good compared to some of the sheet metal POS I've seen.
Old June 7, 1999, 09:27 AM   #9
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

My GunVault is continuously in need of a new battery. When the battery is dead … so are you … if you are in need of your weapon as the door of the vault will not open unless you use the key. Absolutely not the type of thing I want to deal with when an intruder is in the house. I have contacted the manufacture about this and they have offered no solution. I would be more upset if I purchased it however mine was a gift. Needless to say I don’t use it for my ready weapon … I use it to store spare ammo and only operate it with the key.

------------------
to locate, close with and …
Old June 7, 1999, 06:44 PM   #10
Cimarron

I'll have to agree with Scott that the batteries do not last long. In theory it is a great system but, now I am looking for something battery free.

------------------
Old June 16, 1999, 01:08 PM   #11
DblTap

The next generation of GunVaults have external power connections.

DblTap

------------------
The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arms reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.
Old June 16, 1999, 07:25 PM   #12
Bushwhacker

Joe if you'll e-mail me your e-mail address I can get any gun vault safe shipped to you, I have a friend that is in the Import/Export bussiness, they have offices all over the place.

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

Old June 16, 1999, 08:47 PM   #13
JOE BANGKOK

Bushwhacker, Thanks for your offered. I have my brother in US, I will let him buy for me and bring it back with him during his break. However, after listen to others members suggested, I think I will looking at Simplex Lock systems that provide by Plamer or R&D. May be Simplex Lock would be more dependable than GunVault. Thanks again, JOE BANGKOK