The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2015, 01:02 AM   #1
Prof Young

RCBS Ram Priming Unit

Loaders:

I bought an RCBS Ram Priming Unit and have to say that although it is slower than my Lee hand primer it really does a good job and there is no question that the primers are seated to the very bottom of the primer pocket. I wasn't really happy the first time I used it but then realized it was designed for the ram to be lifted up above the shell holder to put in a fresh primer not lowered beneath it. Once I figured that out it worked like a champ.

I also figured out how to bend the handle of my Lee primer so it is doing a much better job too.

Ah well . . . can never have too much gear.
Old June 27, 2015, 11:58 AM   #2
mikld

I discovered ram priming a few years ago and don't think I've primed more than 100 primers with other methods (hand primer, press priming) in the last 9 years (I used hand tools to make my living for over 50 years so I know how to use a huge variety of hand tools). I could never get a hand primer that I liked (tried 4 different ones) and found my ram prime tool to be more consistent, easier to use (no finger cramps after 100 primers!), and it give me a better "feel" of the process. (Lyman manual #48 states ram priming is the best method for priming brass).
Old July 1, 2015, 11:20 AM   #3
F. Guffey

Quote:
I discovered ram priming a few years ago
It took me almost that much time to find my ram prime tool. I knew I had one, I thought it came in the green die box. I gave up, then I was looking for a bullet mold and there it was. Hiding? I have bench primers from Lochmiller? Herters and RCBS. I have the Lee hand primers, Single Lee primer installers. I have priming systems on all my progressive presses, and I have two RCBS Auto hand primers. It had nothing to with finding fault, it had to do with finding the ram primer.

then there are those that are real fussy about removing dies from the press and loosing their place. About the time I was looking for my ram primer system I was pulling bullets. Then I thought about getting the old Herter turret out with the 6 hole turret. Finding fault, the Herter turret requires a big wrench, with all of that equipment I was more than a little crowded so I used the RCBS auto prime system and the Lee auto system with the tray that is too small for the big Federal box. I got that under control, I section the Federal sleeve to drop 25 primers at a time +/- a few.

F. Guffey
Old July 1, 2015, 03:22 PM   #4
cw308

I have been using the RCBS Ram Primer for years, uniforming my primer pockets with the unit makes priming a breeze. I also use a 7/8 O-Ring under the locking Ring to get that micro adjustment for that perfect seat. I marked the lock at the front for repeat setting. Works Great.
Old July 2, 2015, 10:21 AM   #5
TimSr

I got one (the Lyman version) years ago, when i was priming off the stage stage press because I had trouble seating mostly large primers. I have a hand primer now, but still use the ram for all large rifle primers.
Old July 2, 2015, 12:29 PM   #6
F. Guffey

To make sure I am not misunderstood, I want the most powerful primers, most of my primers are in large boxes, I do not want primers that take more powder to seat. As I said, I have bench primers from three different manufacturers, I got by with two of the bench type primers that have short handles. I did not move on to RCBS because the handles are (wild guestimate) 4 times longer than the other two bench primers.

F. Guffey
Old July 3, 2015, 08:23 AM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
RCBS Ram Priming Unit
I started out priming with a Lyman ram prime die, back in the late '90s. Changing the primer size was such a pain that I got a second one. Along the way I picked up an RCBS and a Lee ram prime die.

RCBS is the best (IMHO & YMMV). Lyman next. Lee leaves me scratching my head, for them making it not long enough to put a lock ring on it.

These days I mostly use the Safety Prime system on the Lee Classic Turret.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "