The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2001, 08:20 AM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, folks, I finally heard of one wearing out. This is anecdotal, but my source obviously believed it.

I was at the range yesterday doing the testing mentioned on the latest KO thread, and two elderly gents showed up to shoot. I was the only shooter on a 100 point line and told them I had one more round to fire, and then they could walk down with their frames. I finished up and we walked down to the 100 yard line together, me to retrieve my frame and them to set up. When the line went hot again, we looked at each others' guns, of course. They were using custom bolt action and shooting cast bullets into teeny little groups. As they set up, I was admiring their rifles, in calibers I'd never heard of(7.62X40, made from 300 Savage Brass), one asked me how long I had owned my 870. I answered since 1958 or so, and he mentioned he shot a lot of skeet with an 870 starting in the 50s and still had it. He also mentioned that he shot trap also and had placed well in his division at Vandalia last year.

I said that I was fond of 870s, and had never heard of one wearing out. They looked at each other and smiled. One said, "We did", and launched into a story about an acquaintance of theirs, a hotshot local legend and mentioned his name.I'd heard of him. Let's call him Charley.According to these guys, Charley is a bit of a trap hustler, buys shot by the half ton, has a garage that holds nothing but reloading equipment and supplies, and has shot an 870 for decades.ONE 870....

It seem Charley's 870 developed a crack in the receiver. He, being a man of little patience and quick temper, sent it to Remington with a nasty note,saying the 870 was a POS, and demanding redress. Remington called him back,and during the conversation, Charley admitted that he had shot,counting only practice rounds, over 250,000 rounds through that 870 since his purchase long, long ago..

According to the story, Remington provided a new receiver, with the old serial number,installed all the old parts for a pittance and sent it back.

We all smiled at this story, and the gentleman telling it mentioned it could be true. His skeet 870 went better than 50,000 rounds before he switched guns,he stated, and was still quite usable....

After 20 years working in prisons, I've a pretty good BS detector built in,and these guys seemed pretty straight forward. Sure would like to talk to Charley, tho(G)....
Old February 1, 2001, 01:14 PM   #2
Correia

That is a lot of shooting. Half a million rounds should just about wear out anything on the planet. I imagine that you would probably be pretty darn good by the end of that though.
Old February 1, 2001, 04:05 PM   #3
Ledbetter

I'm looking for my iceskates because

Hell must have frozen over
Old February 1, 2001, 11:07 PM   #4
mikey357

"Charley" wouldn't happen to be an alias for Rudy Etchen, would it???....mikey357
Old February 2, 2001, 03:13 AM   #5
DML

I wonder how long ago this happened. These days you'de be lucky to get anything out of Remington. The last two guns that I personally know of that were sent to Remington for repair, one came back untouched. They refused to even look at it. Too old they said. The second one, an 11-87, came back with a new receiver, but not the same serial number. It kind of ticked off the owner, because he had to DROS is again and wait 10 days to pick it up. (Kalifornia)
Old February 2, 2001, 05:48 AM   #6
AAChang

250,000 rounds??????? Damn, he must have some time and money on his hands
Old February 2, 2001, 07:57 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Like I said,folks, it's anecdotal. My sources were both well over 70, and no time frame was given.

Charley is his real first name.

McIntosh or another of those guys that write about fine double guns that cost more than a new 4X4, crew cab, longbed P/U truck with the big engine and tow package states that some of the shooting schools in Britain have guns that have been fired up to half a million rounds and required only minor servicing.

Good design, good materials and good workmanship = longevity.

Another note:

Light clay game loads at lower pressures would stress a shotgun less than the max dram, heavy payload stuff we use for deer, turkey, and social problems.I'd wager that t'were this story true(and it may be) the 870 would have not gone that far with heavier loads.I know I wouldn't have.Shooting off 6 figures of turkey loads doesn't strike me as being either fun or productive.