The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2010, 08:45 AM   #26
Warchild

Quote:
You invited a stranger into your home, one that was admittedly in economic dire straights, once inside he looks around so you call the cops? I don't know what to say about this ridiculous situation except I wished I hadn't come across it on this forum and wasted this much time replying.
Forget post count, you're simply starting off by sounding like a jerk. Uncalled for commentary bro, that's the issue.

Last edited by Warchild; April 20, 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old April 20, 2010, 09:00 AM   #27
SVO

What's this got to do with semiautos?
Old April 20, 2010, 09:08 AM   #28
LordTio3

Warchild for President...

I like you Warchild. You call em like you see em.
Once again, it's all about personal preference and to belittle someone about their preference is just wrong.

Constructive exchange of ideas jfrye. That's why we're here. If you have something constructive, offer it. And please do so in a respectful manner. We all may go a little too far once in a while (me included). But the correct and responsible thing to do is to appologize for it and make amends.

I think the consensus is that you were a little harsh, and it was likely due to your inexperience in the forum community, which was indicated by your low post count. I personally think your argument was valid for Pro-Safety and not exposing yourself to a possible threat, but it could have been a little less harsh.

Just one man's opinon,
Warchild has set me straight too. You're not the only one.
~LT
Old April 20, 2010, 10:41 AM   #29
rickyrick

dogs rule

My dogs screen all of my visitors,

The dogs have 360° access around my house in the fence.

they're awsome motion detecting machines.

best to have a brave dog and a scaredy-cat dog. the timid dog tends to alert your main guard dog sooner.

treat them well, if you are the most important thing in their life they will serve you well.

even if your not a dog person, everyone should consider at least two. best crime deterent.
Old April 20, 2010, 02:10 PM   #30
.22lr

its YOUR home.

I think the original poster (OP) did well. The OP was under no requirement to entertain this person's attempt to solicit on his property.

I ran into a similar thing, the seller acted in a manner which made me suspicious of his intentions (Hint: only ask "may I come inside" ONCE!).

The main thing to remember is to listen to your gut. A few months ago, I didn't, and I was harmed both physically and financially for it:

There was a young woman (I'd guess about 10-12 years of age) who appeared on my doorstep in a quazi military (militia maybe?) uniform. I noted that this particular jackbooted thug was well adorned with many patches and insignia. Using mind tricks that I cannot understand, this doe eyed recon type (she said she was a "scout" of some sort) emptied my wallet and made me 5 Lbs heavier! It was "wanna buy some cookies mister?" and then everything was a haze. I have since realized that she was in the drug trade... apparently "Thin Mints" are chocolate covered cocaine. I was immediately hooked and box after box of those narcotic confectionaries were devoured, my drug addled mind unable to stop myself. As bad as the addiction was, the detox was worse... I tracked down the organization and tried to order more "cookies" but the heartless bastards told me they only come around once a year! I spent several long sleepless nights trying to overcome my demons, but to no avail... What started with Thin Mints led to Oreos, M&Ms and recently "Peeps". With the help of my loving wife whose words of support carried me through ("who ate all the damn cookies?", "stop being a baby" and "just shut up already!") I was able to kick most of the habit.

But PLEASE remember, if one of these "girl Scouts" approaches your door, take all necessary defensive measures, and DO NOT BUY THE COOKIES! At least don't but the Thin Mints, those are all MINE!

VR

Matt
Old April 20, 2010, 02:23 PM   #31
Mr Dish

P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D
P-R-E-P-A-R-E-D

Interestin' huh?
Old April 20, 2010, 02:36 PM   #32
LordTio3

Well-stated .22lr.
I'm getting odd looks from my co-workers as I read that.

~LT
Old April 20, 2010, 03:44 PM   #33
sonick808

i've stopped answering my door completely if i don't recognize the person on the monitors (cheap these days)

I will usually yell "I'M BUSY" loudly so they can hear me, and then ignore them. That way they know i'm home. Out here in Phoenix, the "knock check" is almost always performed before a door kick or window smash. If i can peacefully deflect a would-be invader, all the better.

For something REALLY to put you on edge, try having someone knock on your door at 4am! That one had an AK pointed at his feet the whole time i dialogued through the door and never knew it. Wrong house (supposedly).
Old April 20, 2010, 03:57 PM   #34
RT

Was his name Steve? Does he come from a rough area? Did he used to be addicted to crack but now is off it and trying to stay clean?
That is why he is selling magazine subscriptions.
Did you ask him if he knew how to launder money? What are you gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?

http://www.break.com/tv-shows/office...n-1783568.html
In all seriousness, you gotta go with your gut feelings at the time.
Old April 20, 2010, 04:45 PM   #35
markj

I have a sign, reads, all salesmen that enter this property will be ground up and used to feed the hogs.

I dont get many visitors..

None actually last 10 years.

Those peanut butter wafers are mine, I had to go to the store and buy them cookies when them girly scouts set up a booth. Sent some overseas too for our guys. Got a future GS up the road, her brother is a cub scout with my son. My daughter was a GS and she did sell like thousands of boxes, she is the root of my addiction for GS cookies....
Old April 20, 2010, 06:23 PM   #36
BGutzman

Quote:
I have a sign, reads, all salesmen that enter this property will be ground up and used to feed the hogs.
I love this one and when I move farther out into the rural area I may just have to borrow this one!

Last edited by BGutzman; April 20, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old April 20, 2010, 06:46 PM   #37
Hoss Fly

Quote:
P-A-R-A-N-O-I-D
P-R-E-P-A-R-E-D

Interestin' huh?
Not really

Tags
robbery , threat