The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

View Poll Results: DuraCoat (black) or Reblue?
DuraCoat (semi-gloss or matte black) 13 72.22%
Professionally reblue 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15, 2008, 02:22 AM   #1
gedenke

DuraCoat or Reblue?

As some of you may know, I'm in the process of "fixing up" an old bolt action (sporterized Arisaka 38). I'm already mostly done with the stock, and now it's time to start thinking about the metal. The gun has no collector or historical value, so I just want it to look good and be tough enough to withstand regular use (hunting/target).

Question is: Should I spend the money and have a professional refinish the blueing, or should I give a spray on finish such as DuraCoat a try. I'm pretty good at painting and I have an airbrush already, not to mention enough patience to properly do the prep-work. I would probably bead blast first and then paint either matte black or semi-gloss black in an attempt to closely match the matte black finish on my scope.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old January 15, 2008, 02:38 AM   #2
Scorch

If I were going to coat a gun rather than rebluing, I would use Brownells GunKote. It is a bake-on epoxy with molybdenum disulfide (moly) in it, and if properly applied, it is nearly impossible to remove. It comes in a variety of colors to match your needs or desires.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...20GUN%20FINISH

Brownells also has another product that is similar, but has both PTFE and moly in it.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...20GUN%20FINISH
Either looks very good when applied properly, and will protect the gun from scratches and rust. I refinished a gun years ago that had Brownells bake-on finish on it, and I had to sandblast it to get it off.

That said, I prefer the look of bluing. But bluing rusts and wears off eventually.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Ruger1280

Guncoat or blueing ...

The guncoat will work on most types of guns - but if it is a revolver I would consider nothing other that blueing. Coating will "burn off" around the cylinder and gap. I don't care who tells you it won't happen - it will. It is almost impossible to keep coatings on revolvers. I tried all kinds and with coatings you have to keep stripping and reappling, no thank you I'm done with that.

I have some guns that have the gunkkote and the brownells coating, but they are autopistols and boltguns.

If it were mine i'd Blue it - and have a lot less headaches.

Dave
Old January 16, 2008, 01:10 AM   #4
gedenke

Thanks for the tips on pistols, Dave, but like I said in the first sentence of my post, I'm refinishing a bolt gun (AKA bolt action rifle). Sorry, I should've been more specific.

Anyway, I'm really leaning toward trying DuraCoat or maybe even Gun-Kote. I've been poking around on the net and have seen some nice rifles done with these finishes.

As I mentioned before, I'm hoping for durability and looks, as well as cost effectiveness (I bought the rifle for $150 ). I just thought I'd tap into you guy's vast pool of knowledge and experience, and maybe get a few opinions too.
Old January 16, 2008, 01:25 AM   #5
MrApathy

first get it parkerized then have it coated 2 finishes are better than one specially when the finish isnt Rust to begin with.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old January 16, 2008, 07:29 PM   #6
gedenke

Good point MrA, I'll check with my gunsmith to see how much he'd charge. I need to send it over to him and have the muzzle crowned anyway, so I bet he could do them both at the same time. (preferrably crown 1st, then park)
Old January 16, 2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Ruger1280

Sorry gedenke;

Here is my Turk in 35 Whelen

This gun is done with the Duracoat. I am pretty happy with the way this turned out. It seems to be pretty tough. I applied it with an HVLP gun and let it fully cure before I reassembled. A guy that distributes this stuff here said that is the way to get the best results. It is going to take some time to see if it is as durable as the Brownell's Gunkote, but so far I am pleased.

The barrel is a flat black and the stock is the Urban camaflage color pattern.

Dave
Old January 17, 2008, 08:13 AM   #8
gedenke

Dave, nice gun! That paint job looks pretty sweet.
Old January 17, 2008, 08:57 AM   #9
rgitzlaff

+1 for Duracoat! It's what I use on my rifles.
Old January 17, 2008, 08:10 PM   #10
ocharry

i put duracoat on my hk this summer,, hk black,, it was a perfect match color wise,,,taped everything up and blasted it,, put the paint to it and went on vacation,,,, like dave said i let i cure fully,, hung around in the hot garage for 29 days,,,,it was all i could do to keep my hands off of it and not put it together

these rifles are noted for being hard on the ejection port,, this paint hasn't chipped yet

i'm real happy with it,, looks good too.... YMMV

ocharry
Old September 26, 2008, 06:07 PM   #11
gedenke

This thread is old, I know, but I finally got around to finishing my gun and wanted to post some pics. After some research, I decided to go with KG Gunkote instead of DuraCoat. I went with the matte black and it matches my scope almost perfectly. After curing, this finish seems to be very tough a looks great. Here it is: