The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 17, 2015, 01:14 PM   #1
MarineVaquero

Palmer 1865 Bolt Action

I've been reading about Civil War rifles and am quite interested in trying a bolt action such as the Palmer. Problem is there don't seem to be any reproductions on the market today and I'm not sure why. It seems they would have been in as much use during those times as the now popular lever actions so how do you explain their absence from cowboy action shooting and why isn't anybody making them? If you do know of one please tell me, Thanks.
Old February 17, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Model12Win

You are wrong.

There were only about 1000 Palmer model 1865 rifles produced. They were patented in 1863, but didn't really get out the door till 1865... the war was over before the gun could be used, and with the limited amounts made, it fell by the wayside. They were obviously not NEARLY as popular as the various lever action rifles and other single shot rifles of the post Civil War period.

It doesn't surprise me at all that no manufacturer makes a replica. It is a very obscure arm, and there has to be some market for the replica makers to make them. So since so few know about them, there is little demand.

Last edited by Model12Win; February 17, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old February 17, 2015, 11:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another problem is that the Palmer hammer strikes the cartridge rim directly, so that, unless modified, it can only work with a rimfire cartridge. So there is the circular issue; no one will make guns when there is no ammo, and no one will make ammo when there are no guns.

There have been literally dozens of rifles and carbines from that era and just afterwards that are interesting mechanically or even historically, but which were dead ends. Very few are likely to ever be reproduced. (Now a Mont Storm in .44 Special.....)

Jim
Old February 18, 2015, 03:49 AM   #4
MarineVaquero

Thank you guys for the replies. I didn't know they were produced in such limited numbers and after hearing about the rimfire issue it's no wonder we don't see them around.
Old February 18, 2015, 07:55 AM   #5
eastbank

a good friend had one in is collection in mint condition, a nice carbine. bolt action with a side hammer. he lost his whole collection in a total house fire and also a early wooden speed boat he was working on in the under the house garage. eastbank.