The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: Which of these two scopes for the long haul...
Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 Riflescope DOA 600 Reticle 17 89.47%
Simmons 3.5-10x40 Whitetail Classic 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Te Anau

Which of these two scopes for the long haul.....

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...8B&src=tpCtgOp
Or
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...53&src=tpCtgOp

No interest in Zeiss,Nikon,Nitrex,Leupold,Konus,etc.
Primary use would be on bolt action rifle in .223,.308 or 30-06
Old April 24, 2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Te Anau

Interesting,140 reads and 2 votes.Apparently people think its a joke poll or something. Maybe I'll just get both.
Old April 24, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Ok, I'll play. Out of those choices, I think you might have better luck with the Bushnell.
Old April 24, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

I'll Play

Of those 2 I would choose the Bushnell. However, My choice would be a Pentax Gameseeker (oh yea that's what I replaced the Bushnell with that came on my Weatherby Vanguard).

I have had a couple of Simmons over the years and they were 'iffy'. Didn't hold zero very well.
Old April 24, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5
Yung.gunr

Bushnell has a much better name. But, my personal experience is that I live my Simmons scope on my .22 bolt rifle and hate the red dot Bushnell on my brother's AR.

I guess sometimes it boils down to luck of the draw..
Old April 25, 2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Justice06RR

BUSHNELL.

Bushnell gets my vote. I just purchased a very similar scope, the Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 and I'm very pleased with the quality for the price you pay. The optics are very clear and easy to acquire.
Old April 25, 2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Powderman

I have a Whitetail Expedition--but it's the 6.5-20 model. I have had fantastic results with it. I can also say that mine is very durable--I mounted mine on a .50 BMG rifle () and it performed beautifully. They're also inexpensive; you can usually find them on sale for right around $120.00.
Old April 25, 2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Te Anau

I think a lot of people reading this are grouping the Whitetail classic with all other offerings from Simmons,but apparently its made in the Phillipines and is a whole different animal.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:27 AM   #9
603Country

Right or wrong, I'd go with the Bushnell. I have a low dollar one that's not on a gun right now, but it worked Ok when it was. Not a great scope by any means, but it held its zero. I paid a lot more for a scope (Japanese, but will remain nameless) that replaced the Bushnell on the 223, and the more expensive scope did NOT hold zero. The Bushnell was made in the Phillippines.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've owned a lot of cheap scopes over the years and I've only seen 3 fail.... 2 of mine, 1 of my dads. One was a very, very cheap Tasco, 10-40x that lasted 5 years or so, the other was a Bushnell Dusk and Dawn 3-9 that simply couldn't handle the recoil of a 12ga in a lead sled. My dads was a Simmons that he had on his 12ga that was about $39 brand new. That one lasted a SOLID 20 years. It just broke last year and he had it on his gun when I started deer hunting 21 years ago.

I'd probably pick the Bushnell, though I can't say exactly why. I like magnification, so I might pick the Simmons. It's a toss-up.

How's that for ambiguous?
Old April 27, 2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

For $70, or less..

don't expect any scope to last, "for the long haul".

Sportsman's Guide is selling Pentax Gameseeker scopes, 2 models, for $62.

Whatever you get, it will "last" longer on the .223 (less recoil) than on a .308 or 30-06. That doesn't mean the image will be bright, or have high resolution, or good color definition.

Note that the Bushnell lenses are "multi-coated", not "fully multi-coated". That means that at least the exterior surface of either the objective lens or the ocular lense has at least 2 coats of lens covering. But none of the other lenses have any coating on them at all. RESULT: dim, fuzzy images with poor color separation.

Meanwhile, my Pentax Lightseeker 3-11X43 ($700 MSRP) has seven lens coatings on EVERY surface of EVERY lens. RESULT: Bright, sharp, crisp images from first light to last light, with every color in the rainbow clearly defined.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); April 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old April 29, 2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Te Anau

Quote:
Coated optics means that at least one of the major optical elements has a coating on at least one surface. Fully-coated means that all lenses and glass surfaces have a coating layer. Multicoated means that at least one of the major optical elements in a fully-coated binocular has multiple coatings of antireflective compounds on at least one surface. Fully-multicoated means all glass surfaces have multiple coatings and it is the best kind, resulting in light transmission of 90-95 percent, bright, sharp and contrasty images.
http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3...articleid=1626
Old April 30, 2012, 07:11 AM   #13
THE RAVEN

Neither......Check out Nikon before you buy anything,you might be glad you did..Good luck !

S&W MP-15/22,S&W MP-15 .223,Remington SPS .308,Remington 870 A-TAC 12 ga,Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter .17 Hornet