The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 2000, 11:45 AM   #1
TCW

I'm not much into side saddles, but would like to be able to carry extra shells on my 870. Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with sppedfeed stocks (the ones that hold 4 shells)?

Thanks!
TCW
Old December 20, 2000, 12:00 PM   #2
TCW

Oh yea...how does the pistol-grip combo (SpeedFeedIII) compare to standard stock?
Old December 20, 2000, 12:51 PM   #3
ajacobs

Speedfeed stocks are extreemly high quality, many would argue they are the best synthetic stock (come factory on remington police model and some others, and used by people like scattergun tech/ wilson combat). I think they are unsurpassed in fit and finnish.

With that said, I think the tactics of reloading from a speedfeed stock are weeker than reloading from a sidesaddle. Also you are limited to four as opposed to six rounds.

But, I have speedfeeds on 4 different shotguns, all one holding the extra rounds. I outway my perceived weaker tactic by the unlikelyhood that I would have to reload as well as the fact I bassically want the rounds there to top off the firearm from cruiser ready as well as just keeping a couple slugs in case. Also I probally wouldn't carry the extra rounds if it wasn't for them.
Old December 20, 2000, 02:04 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've got one on my 870

and I like the idea of the extra shells. BTW, I've been told that SWAT cops who run around and do a lot of that jumping up and down and falling have had shells pop out of the stock. I've never had that happen, but then again, I don't run, jump, and fall down if I can avoid it. SWAT is for youngsters (I'll use a scoped rifle).
Old December 20, 2000, 04:43 PM   #5
E. BeauBeaux

I have one of those stocks on my 870, great fit, not a fast reload but having the extra rounds I like. If 00 buck is in the weapon I usually carry slugs in the stock. They sell a speedloader for the shotgun as well, fill it up in the time it takes to load one round. For me the pistol grip stock only gets in the way so I have the standard. I've used both.
Old December 20, 2000, 06:38 PM   #6
curious

I don,t have one that holds shells but I agree with the statements made. I think they are great. You won't be disapointed.
Old December 20, 2000, 06:42 PM   #7
TCW

Do they have swivel studs?