The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2005, 04:35 PM   #1
McGee

Trench Gun

I hope this is considered spamin as this is like my third thread today :P

But i would like some info on shotties as i really like the barrel not the bayonet lug but the vented thing with the holes in (sorry bout my lame termanology) but what is that called and are there any newer pump guns with this as i ting it looks awsome and really suits shotties.

We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill. Proud To Be British
Old June 30, 2005, 05:41 PM   #2
locked'n'cocked

its called a barrel shroud. you can get them just about anywhere to put on just about any shotty.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old June 30, 2005, 05:55 PM   #3
McGee

Thanks looking in to a mossberg 500 cruiser
We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender. - Winston Churchill. Proud To Be British
Old June 30, 2005, 07:03 PM   #4
Buzzkill

mmmm Winchester m97 . Does anyone agree that , that is one of the butchest shotguns ever made .

Those are super hard to come by nowadays aren,t they ?

Thanks
Bob
Old June 30, 2005, 07:58 PM   #5
9mmMike

One of my favs and on my "would be nice to have one someday" list. Unless you're talking expressly about the trench models, they are not hard to find but they are getting pricey. Many of the good ones have been bought by the CAS crew and chopped down.
The commie's sell a clone now but many folks have issues with buying a new gun that was built by political slaves. Many do not.
The Winchester '97's are mega cool though.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 1, 2005, 10:25 AM   #6
artsmom

The "vented thing with the holes in it" is also called a heat shield. It keeps one from getting burned by a hot barrel, but makes wiping down the outside of the barrel more difficult.

Several shotgun manufacturers offer them on new shotguns, and their are at least two companies that make them as aftermarket accessories.

I take it a "shottie" is a shotgun?
Old July 1, 2005, 10:33 AM   #7
McGee

Sorry thats the brit in me. I had a habbit when i was round my mates that i picked up of calling shotguns Shottie or shotty. Sorry
Old July 1, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

shottie

Thanks for the English lesson McGee.
Old July 1, 2005, 11:22 AM   #9
McGee

its all good ol' chap
Old July 2, 2005, 03:29 PM   #10
ssgmac27

I want one.

Does anyone know if the heat shield and bayonet lug can be added to a model 97 takedown that isn't a trench gun, or would the barrel have to be changed?