The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1
LostTexan

Which reloading manuals to buy?

I'm pretty new to reloading and I understand that I need as much info as I can get. I seem to be having a problem finding loading data for all of the components that I have. I'll find the powder but not with the bullet I have or visa versa. Which manual has the most information? I've tried looking info up online and maybe in the wrong places, but it seems most sites want you to subscribe before showing you the full recipe. Any suggestions are welcome.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
TheNatureBoy

I have a few but I'm partial to Sierra's manual. Good reloading info and a overall good read.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; April 10, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old April 10, 2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Try to find a good "Load Book". It will have all the load information from all the major bullet and powder manufacturers.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:48 AM   #4
velocette

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee is a very good manual for any reloader and particularly for a novice. it has a huge amount of information and good guidance. (along with some Lee reloading plugs - - Well, a lot of plugs in the beginning)

Roger
Old April 10, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5
olddav

Went through the same process that your going through. The one universal theme that came up over and over again was start with a light load and slowly increase it, never exceeding the maxinum.

I loaded a set of three at a given powder load, shot them and measured the group. I did this over and over untill I found the best load for my rifle. Good luck and have fun, I sure did.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6
David Wile

Hey Lost Texan,

Over the past 50 years, my advice to new reloaders for their "first" reloading manual has always been the latest issue of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. I am not suggesting one would never need another loading manual, but the Lyman book is the first manual one should get. I have quite a number of different manuals that I use, and a lot of them are different editions of the same manual, but I would always recommend the latest edition of the Lyman manual for a new loader.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old April 10, 2010, 11:14 AM   #7
howlnmad

Lymans most recent, Lee and The ABC's of Reloading are all nice to have and very informative. It's also nice to have a manual from the bullet or powder manufacturer. You can never have too many and it"s nice to cross reference from one to another.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Jbotto

I've just started reloading, and I asked a similar question. I went out and bought: The ABC's of Reloading, Lyman #49, and a Loadbook for .223. I thought it was a good start but I definately plan on buying more in the future!
Old April 10, 2010, 09:44 PM   #9
johnjohn

The newest Lyman. They are bringing out a 4th edition of the cast bullet manual ,should be worth the wait.
Old April 11, 2010, 06:37 PM   #10
P5 Guy

Handloading Manuals

When I buy bullets that I have never used I buy their manual. I've got the latest of each; Nosler, Hornady, Speer, Sierra and Lyman's 49th along with the powder makers free flyers. Quite a collection.
Old April 11, 2010, 07:56 PM   #11
darkgael

Versatility

For versatility in bullet and powder selection, you can't beat the Lyman #49 and the Lee Reloading Manual.
Pete
Old April 11, 2010, 08:25 PM   #12
TXGunNut

Latest issues of Lyman, RCBS, and Hornady. Have at least one older addition of each and that makes for interesting comparisons. How-to sections in each are great.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:10 AM   #13
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have the last 4 editions of the Lyman reloading Manual , they use everybody's bullets and between 4 of them I can usually find data for the bullet I'm looking to load . I also have Hornady , Speer , Sierra , Nosler , Barnes and all the powder manuals for what I use . Plus there is now a plethora of info on the web too boot . Seek and ye shall find !
Old April 12, 2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Doodlebugger45

I have a copy of the Speer manual and it was good for teaching the process, but like you, it didn't always list the powder or bullet that I needed. That's why I subscribe to Loaddata.com. It takes ALL the load data from ALL the sources, including some from various magazines and puts them in one place. It costs $29.95 per year, but I have been printing out all the info and putting it into a notebook for all 10 of the calibers I load for so I might just join for one year. Of course if I start loading for a different caliber or they come out with new calibers, I might have to join again. Or maybe I'll just stay with them because they do have some neat technical articles in there as well.
Old April 12, 2010, 04:44 PM   #15
LostTexan

Thanks for all of the input. Getting started is the hard part. I have probably spent around 1,000 dollars in the last 3 or 4 months getting set up. It is kind of addicting. My wife gives me a hard time about it. I tell her it is a stress reducer. I have 4 girls and all of them want to help me when I'm loading. I usually let them pull the lever when seating the bullet. I've been casting my own for my 44 blackhawk for about 3 months and have the Cast Bullet Handbook by Lyman. I have the dies and am ready to get started loading for .243 and .270. I'm sure I will end up with a few of the manuals you guys suggested just trying to slow down on my spending and find the one with the most info to get started so i won't have to sleep on the couch. Thanks again.

Lost Texan --- You can take the man out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the man.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:57 PM   #16
more forty fives

A good start would be Modern Reloading by Richard Lee lot's of loads and info.
Old April 12, 2010, 08:04 PM   #17
K96771

I agree with Lee's Modern Reloading. When starting out you don't even know what you don't know. As said, it's a good read and very informative with the basics. Start there and work your way up to a collection like Scrapperz's.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:40 PM   #18
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Hey LostTexan ! Get yourself a universal decapping die and those children will do all of your depriming too . My grandson will do it for hours !
Old April 13, 2010, 06:27 PM   #19
TexasFats

At a minimum: Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Lyman. Also, if you are reloading Nosler, Barnes, or some other brand of bullet, get their manual, if they publish one. Different makes of bullets may have different lengths of bearing surface and different jacket hardness, even if they are identical in weight.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:37 PM   #20
LostTexan

Thanks to you all, for the suggestions. I was so excited to get into reloading. I realize now that I kind of dove into the shallow end head first. I need to take a step back and put in the time and effort and gain a better knowledge of what my goal is. I've learned so much from reading posts on this web site. Looks like I will be reading a few books before I go any further. Thanks again --- LostTexan
Old April 13, 2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Scrapperz

Hey, I hope you have fun learning with everyone here. Asking many questions will get you many answers which will also broaden your view.

I have to tell you I read my library over and over. I even look over the calibers I don't load for, and search the internet for new information all the time. There is so much information out there and it's very humbling. Then after all that studying you get the satisfaction of the going to the range or field to practice with what you prepared so carefully, as far as I'm concerned it's very rewarding especially if you hunt.
Old April 14, 2010, 05:59 PM   #22
ForneyRider

Books I use:
Nosler 5th - beautiful but worn out, and doesn't include new powders.
Lee 2nd - Lee-centric, load data is from various manufacturer data, not independently collected.
Lyman 49th - huge, but missing several of the newer powders.
Nosler 6th - beautiful, still missing several of the newer powder.
Precision Shooting Primer - okay, so it really only has AR load data for 69gr SMK and various powders.

Other sources I use:
various enthusiast websites, magazines, manufacturer websites, and manufacturer handouts.

Would like the Sierra and Speer books as well. I've seen the Hornady book, but not enough powders are covered.
Old April 15, 2010, 01:25 PM   #23
old_folks

I have been reloading my own ammo for well over 50 years and over that time have tried most of the reloading manuals. I have quite a collection of manuals that were accumulated over the years. However, if i could have only one manual, it would have to be the Sierra. Lots of powder choices and lots of load variations. Also, the Sierra has a lot of excellent guide lines and instructions.

Happy reloading.....practice safety first..
Old April 15, 2010, 02:25 PM   #24
howlnmad

oneoldsap is right about the universal decapping die. I set it up and let my grandson go to it. I even let him pull the handle on the seating stage as well.
Old April 16, 2010, 01:25 PM   #25
LostTexan

I will definately be investing in the universal decapping die. I have 4 daughters, it thrills me that they want to get involved in things that I like to do. My oldest 13 now took her 1st deer and turkey when she was 11. I have not killed anything myself since I started taking her, and I wouldn't have it any other way. She is wanting to join the shooting team next year so I may have to get into that sort of reloading.