The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Troponin

Need help for a friend

Tried doing a search and couldn't find much. I am cluelss when it comes to black powder and my buddy is pretty new at it. He just bought a .54 Traditions rifle and needs to find out where to start as far as how much powder is to be used. Can anyone help or is there a place he can find info online to help him get started? I am sure there is alot to learn, so I don't expect anyone to tell me everything, but a place to get started would be nice.

Thanks ladies and gentleman.
Old September 2, 2005, 03:27 PM   #2
Hoss1951

54 cal loads

I have a navy arms Hawken. I use 100 grs as a hunting load. I have shot as much as 140 grs. But in my rifle 100 grs is a hard shooting very accurate load. I have been trying the 777 powder lately. I load 75 to 80 grs of the 777.
Old September 2, 2005, 03:32 PM   #3
MLKeith

There is a note about the Lyman Black Powder manual in this site down a couple of theads. I printed it off and it is about 60 pages but there is a wealth of information that would apply to the Traditions rifle also. Before doing any shooting you buddy needs to read a lot and make sure he has all the information before doing something that could cause injury. Black Powder or the synthetics (Pyrodex, Tripple Seven, Black Mag'3, Pinnacle, American Pioneer) are all safe if used properly but they can all cause injury if misused. These powders are the kind that people can make pipe bombs with and you do not want your rifle to be a pipe bomb. Correct loads, bullet must be seated on the powder without an air gap between, correct primer and normal firearm safety rules are just a starting point. Have fun like we all are doing but be safe.
Old September 3, 2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Ozzieman

All good info here,

Call any gun shops and find out if there are any gun clubs in your aria that have BP clubs.
Several ranges in my aria have large BP groups that are happy to help new people getting into smoke.
Start with black powder and 60 or 70 grans max with ball and patch.
Any more than that I would want to find some info on the gun from the manufacture or some one else that has the gun. I also shoot a hawkin that I built from a Thompson center kit and it will talk 120 GR loads with ball and 100 gr with maxi's. But there very strong guns and again I wouldt shoot very hot loads untill I find more information on the gun.
I would also contact traditions and request loading data, most companys will be very helpful with that kind of information, since they dont want people hurt or killed shoting there guns. Contact them at the address below.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/index.asp