The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
dirty habit

7mm08 from 308

Hi, Just wondering if anybody out there knows how difficult or easy it is to form 7mm08 brass from 308? Is it a better idea to buy 7mm08 brass or reform?
Cheers
Old January 13, 2007, 04:18 PM   #2
snuffy

It's as simple as lubing well, then running the .308 empty into your 7-08 full length sizing die. HOWEVER you will end up with a 7-08 casing that's shorter than a standard 7-08 by as much as .020. That's because the .308 is 2.015 and the 7-08 is 2.035 trim length.

In the real world, that's not enough to be worried about, there's still plenty of neck to properly grip a bullet. Another thing that CAN happen when necking down, is the neck becomes thicker. If you are dealing with a tightly cut match chamber, it could result in no room left for expansion of the neck during firing, even preventing chambering in a worse case scenario. A standard sloppy factory chamber probably won't know the difference.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 15, 2007, 03:57 PM   #3
Peter M. Eick

It is easy to do, but be careful to work up your loads carefully. The only blown rifle round I have fired was a 308 that ran though the 7-08 dies and was shot on a hot day. It perfed the primer and sent a bit of gas back my way.

For this reason I will never own a 243 since it is hard enough to keep the 7-08 out of the 308 brass....