The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 19, 2015, 06:04 PM   #1
alan

seen in Pittsburgh Tribune-Review today

The U.S. Senate voted 53-46 to reject a United Nations resolution that “called for member states to support weapons collection and disarmament of all U.N. countries.” The vote precludes the United States from becoming a part of Turtle Bay's Arms Trade Treaty. Indeed it is comforting to know that a majority of the Senate considers sacred our national sovereignty and the Second Amendment; it is just as frightening to think that 46 senators — 44 Democrats and two independents — do not.

Readers might inquire of their United States Senators as to how they voted on this matter. Speaking with the Pittsburgh office of Senator Casey, a lady there claimed that the vote was not actually on the UN proposal, there having been no Senate vote on that as yet, rather it was a vote on a proposed amendment to a spending bill. No response from Pat Toomey's office as yet, though Senator Toomey is Republican.

That being the case, it's likely worth while for people to stay in touch with their elected representatives on matters of interest to them.
Old November 19, 2015, 06:35 PM   #2
rickyrick

I think this was 2013
Old November 19, 2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Kosh75287

They may be able to re-introduce the bill, when it doesn't pass. I'm not entirely lucid as to the machinations of the Senate.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old November 19, 2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

I'm really not sure why the Tribune is posting this today when the actual vote was more than two years ago.

Let's not clog our legislators' inboxes with this.
Closed Thread