The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 21, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
IMGooch

bad scope?

Was at the range yesterday to make sure my rifle was on and had an issue. My first shot was a couple inches off but I wanted to verify with another shot or two naturally. Well my next few shots never even hit the paper! Eventually I noticed where I was hitting in the background and verified by eyeballing it down the barrel....the scope was off several FEET! I verified that the mounts were in place and everything seemed quite solid. So I adjusted the dials until I got it back to within a few inches and then all of a sudden the thing was back off several feet again! This time it was opposite, as if it jumped back to where it was originally supposed to be....so all my adjustments needed to be reversed. However, at this point I ran out of shells...wasn't expecting to shoot more than like 3 shots honestly.

So my question is...is my scope scrap? If not, and this just happens sometimes, how do I prevent it or fix it easily...or even know that it happened if I'm not on the range? I'm assuming the springs are sticking for some reason...would tapping on the scope be wise?

Thanks!!
Old October 21, 2012, 01:43 PM   #2
FLChinook

You didn't mention what kind of scope. I recently used an older Redfield that was suddenly off and I just tossed it. I'm currently looking at the performance of a Swarovski 3x12 50 and if I determine it's off (moving it to another rifle), I'll send it off for repair. Bottom line, scopes can go off (IMHO).
Old October 21, 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
IMGooch

It's a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn. 71-3948. 3-9 40mm

So this is abnormal then and should be replaced?
Old October 21, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
tobnpr

If the mount is rigid, and it isn't the shooter...it's gotta be the scope...
Given that it's a $75 optic, that's probably a safe bet.

You should consider spending more to get something reliable. What if you were on a hunt and it failed?

Far as "tapping" on the scope...sure, have at it...but it isn't going to fix it since it's broken...

They pound Nightforces on the table (HARD) as part of QC.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:14 PM   #5
IMGooch

crap. Replacement was my first thought but wanted to be sure.

thanks
Old October 21, 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Clifford L. Hughes

Imgooch:

Less costly scopes, especially on hard kicking rifles, tend to shoot loose. I'm not going to mention its name because its line of scopes has improved, but I once had a 6x on my 22-250 that I could shoot at least one inch groups consistently. I remounted it on my Model 70 Winchester .375 H & H. After about twenty rounds I was hitting all over the target. I remounted the scope on my 22-250 to check it out: it grouped shotgun patterns.

A suggestion, get rid of your head aches and put a Leoupold or a Burris on your rifle.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old October 21, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7
tango1niner

I believe you can send it back to the factory with $10 and it will be repaired or replaced. Somthing to check into if your interested.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:09 PM   #8
HKGuns

Quote:
A suggestion, get rid of your head aches and put a Leoupold or a Burris on your rifle.
Word.
Old October 21, 2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango1niner
I believe you can send it back to the factory with $10 and it will be repaired or replaced. Somthing to check into if your interested.
If we're talking Bushnell, the $10 is for return shipping. A while back I sent in a scope that was no longer in production. It could not be repaired so they offered me a big discount on anything they make. I got a screaming deal on a scope from the Elite Tactical line.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
sc928porsche

Sorry, You did say that you checked to make sure that the mounts and rings were tight.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Sorry, You did say that you checked to make sure that the mounts and rings were tight.
It might be the scope, but certainly make sure that the rings and base are tight before any thing else.
Old October 22, 2012, 08:08 PM   #12
tobnpr

Nothing wrong with the higher end Bushy's....the 3200/4200 and up are good optics.

There are some really good deals out now as the year end clearances are starting.

Natchez's has the Burris Fullfield II, 3-9x40, on sale now at a great price...

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...1&src=exrbSrch