The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 12:46 AM   #1
MrMullen

Shotgun scope and head spinning.

I am looking forward to try hunting in California, where I live, but I am trying to keep the startup cost low. So I going to use my Mossberg 590 with slugs and shoot some Boar hunting.

I have the 590 with Ghost Rings, and am wondering if that will work well out to 50 yards or so? I have been to the range and tried it out, and I don't think it will. I now want to get a shotgun scope, but my head is spinning on what scope to get. I would like to keep this under $100 for just the scope.

So does anyone have any thoughts on which scope I should get for my 590 and does it really help when hunting?
Old November 25, 2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sir,this sounds more like a software prob than a hardware one.

From the bench I can get under 3" groups with a GR setup, and so can most folks. It sounds like that 590 is knocking you around too much for accuracy.This is quite common.

I suggest you read the Archives on setting up a slug gun, bench testing with slugs and reducing recoil. Make some adjustments, then get in more practice.

Boar hunting tends to be up close and sudden. Most scopes take a hair longer to acquire a sight pic than a GR does, and this may be crucial at say, 10 feet and closing.

Buy a messa 5 packs of diverse slugs. Test until one clear winner emerges. Buy lots of that one.

HTH...
Old November 25, 2002, 10:20 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

What Dave said....

Plus
You don't need slug loads that knock down trees to kill pigs.
Much more important is hitting said pig in a good place.

Sam
Old November 25, 2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Peetmoss

If you are truly set on a scope I would recomend a Red Dot type scope. I love mine. It is a cheap simmons POS but it works. The one I have has no magnification and once it's sighted in just put the dot were you want to hit and squeze the trigger. You still have to make your distance corrections just like with anything else but very quick on target I think maybe even quicker then standard open sights.
Old November 26, 2002, 12:36 AM   #5
MrMullen

Ironic

Actually, after my orginal post, I was out at a Sport Athority looking for shoes when I noticed they sell real guns and other related material. Which was a real shock since Big 5 and Walmart, in San Diego, Ca, don't sell guns (or much) or gun accesories. Anyway, I saw they were selling off their shotgun scopes for cost. So I got a Simmons Shotgun ProDiamond for $60; not bad. Now I need to get a mount and some rings and I will be set.

The problem with ghost rings is that I really don't think, when it really comes down to it in the heat of the moment, I'll hit anything at 50 yards. I'm just being realistic. It took me 6 months and about 1500 rounds to get really good with my Sig239 .40 cal. I think it would be cheaper to buy a scope than shoot 500 rounds of slugs with ghost sites.
Old November 26, 2002, 05:44 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mr, technology's a poor substitute for expertise.

If you've trouble hitting them with a GR setup, chances are a scope will change little.

And, a GR setup is naught but a peep sight with large aperture.

Most of the Western Worlds' military rifles since WWII have used peeps, they're fast, accurate, easy to learn and use.

But it sounds like you've made up your mind, good luck...