The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 17, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
cjwils

A new reason to be paranoid?

I had two experiences recently that disturbed me. I was the successful high bidder on two antique revolvers on an internet auction site. The auctions were about a week apart. These guns are definite antiques, made well before 1899, and each costing about $400.

After the first auction, I went to the post office to get a money order to send to the seller, and I was basically interrogated by the postal clerk, who asked what I was buying. I told him I was buying an antique, but he wanted to know what kind of antique. I admit that I am not very good at being devious on the spur of the moment, so I went ahead and told him I was buying an antique firearm, with emphasis on "antique." He stopped questioning me, and processed the money order. But I was unsettled by what had happened.

A week later, after I won the other auction, I decided to get a cashier's check from the bank, so I would not run the risk of seeing the same postal clerk again. This time, I was more or less interrogated by the bank teller. First, I was asked what I was buying. I responded by saying it was an antique. Again, I was asked what kind of antique. This time, I was better prepared, and I said it was a nicknack to hang on the wall. The questioning stopped with that.

What is going on? Did those clerks simply make bad attempts to seem friendly? Or is there some reason why a modest $400 transaction is being questioned? Is there any reason to be worried about sending money for a legal firearms transaction?
Old July 17, 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
alloy

Over a 400 dollar money order? I've sent alot since Ebay sellers etc request them alot, larger and smaller never been asked a thing whatsoever even hinting at what the MO was for...seems totally out of bounds.

Cashier checks tho, my bank does want to type in the name of the payee.
But not for money orders, and they've never asked why or what. Not their business.

Last edited by alloy; July 17, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old July 17, 2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Pahoo

Something new ??

I will give you the benefit of the doubt on this as I have never been asked this question and frankly, they are out of line. I have seen that they really do not give a rat's behind what the money order is for. I too will be watchful, next time I get one and my reply will be that It's none of their business. all too often we take this stuff even though we know we don't have too. I think that it takes us by surprise and we don't want to lie. But let's face it, who is really being deceptive here and what is their agenda ? ..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 17, 2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I haven't got more than a handful of money orders in my life but I have never been asked any questions about what they were for. I would have politely declined to state any information regarding my purchase. Not their business.
Old July 17, 2011, 06:47 PM   #5
AH.74

The basic answer for rude, nosy people like that is: "None of your business." If necessary to closely be followed by "May I please speak with your supervisor."

Do not be intimidated by rudeness. Those people were indeed way out of line.
Old July 17, 2011, 07:05 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
The basic answer for rude, nosy people like that is: "None of your business." If necessary to closely be followed by "May I please speak with your supervisor."

Do not be intimidated by rudeness. Those people were indeed way out of line.
This^^^.

Especially coming from a Gubmint employee.

"An Antique Nunya." ........ if he asks what a "nunya" is, refer him to the Urban Dictionary.
Old July 17, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Baba Louie

Uncle Sam needs to know these sorta financial things, so tellers ask. Next time you're in the bank, ask your favorite teller to explain the rules they're supposed to follow. You might be surprised... or not.

Stopping terrorist finances isn't just a DHS/CIA (etc) job, it's everyones.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old July 17, 2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Patriot86

"What is the money order for?"
"Oh im giving money to a terrorist group".... making bankers/postal workers question people getting Money Orders and Cashiers checks sounds like something DHS might think up.

All things being equal I have never encountered this myself.

I had to get cashiers checks when I purchased my condo and on more than a few occasions for EBay purchases and I have never been questioned.
Old July 17, 2011, 08:33 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

I've had clerks ask before, but it was just their way of trying to make conversation, while the computer tried to spit out the check or money order. It seems a lot more nosy than they really intend to be.

Last time a postal employee asked me what the $95 money order was for, I responded, "A stamp that was licked by Jeffrey Dahmer." ...That was the end of the conversation.

If my bank asks me what a Cashiers' Check is for, my standard response is, "I found a good deal on 146 Million Iraqi Dinar." The clerks are always: A) Too stupid to understand what I just said. Or, B) Too nice to say anything about Saddam-Era Dinar being worthless.
Old July 17, 2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Mike38

I just finished two weeks of training for USPS PMR (postmaster reserve) and no where in this training was there a requirement for a USPS employee to ask what a money order is going to be used for. So, if it happens again, I would ask the clerk if it’s a requirement of their job to ask. They should say no, and drop the subject. If they persist, tell them it’s none of their damn business.
Old July 18, 2011, 08:30 AM   #11
twobit

At the post office where I go, if there are six people in line in front of me, at least one of them will be buying a money order. The only time I need to buy a money order is to buy a gun off GB or other auction. Most of the time that I have to go to the counter it is to buy stamps. I have never been asked what a money order is for, nor have I ever heard anyone in line in front of me asked what their's would be for.
Old July 18, 2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Uncle Buck

I have a feeling the PO employee was trying to be friendly. Maybe they find it awkward to stand there near a customer and not talk. Once a college kid was asked what the money order was for and he said "Condoms." Every-one laughed and the lady behind me said "Your going to wear that thing out if you have to buy them in bulk."

Small town post offices are nice.

The bank could be a different story. They always ask. Our bank has a sign about these Nigerian scams (Send us $500.00 to process your lottery winnings) and other things people fall victim for. They have helped some people realize they are getting ready to lose their money.

But, bottom line, if you do not want to answer them, simple tell them it is to buy a Nunya, Then refer them to the urban dictionary. (You know I am going to use that line now!)
Old July 18, 2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

I was asked that once and told the clerk "10 kilos of uncut Colombian nose candy."

He laughed. I laughed.

Of course, I've known the guy most of my life.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14
AH.74

I find this the same as a bank teller asking you what you need the cash for, when you withdraw it from your bank. There is no place for them to be asking, friendly conversation or not. It's unprofessional.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:26 AM   #15
AlabamaFamilyMan

Conversation:

Teller: What's this MO for?
You: To buy something.
Teller: Oh? What you buying?
You: Stuff.
Teller: What kind of stuff?
You: Stuff I want to buy?

Far enough?
Old July 18, 2011, 10:31 AM   #16
BlueTrain

Oh, gee. You're supposed to smile and ask why they want to know. Didn't anyone ever teach you that?
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Pahoo

To tell the truth !!!

On a related story; In Iowa, every year I have to renew my Pistol Purchasing Permit. It only costs $5.00 and there is a 3-day waiting period. The last time I was in there, the clerk recognized me and asked; " Are you going to buy another handgun, this year?" ...

I answered, NO as I never stop at just one. Raised her eyebrows on that one but it was the truth. I guess, that is my point, we should not let folks draw us into a lie nor should we feel so paranoid to do so. There is a fine line on being rude but we do our best, in our own best ways. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 18, 2011, 10:53 AM   #18
NJgunowner

Well, at least you don't have to get a permit from the police for every single pistol you want to buy like in NJ.

As to the original post, I'd chalk it up to small talk and curiosity. I find a direct glare works to move the process along.
Old July 18, 2011, 01:59 PM   #19
BlueTrain

Remember also, an armed society is a polite society.
Buy War Bonds.
Old July 18, 2011, 02:42 PM   #20
Onward Allusion

You sure that the clerks weren't just trying to make conversation?
Old July 18, 2011, 04:42 PM   #21
jsimmons

Just get a wmildly wild look in your eye, squint real hard at the teller, and in your best Deliverance voice, say, "A multitude of sexual appliances for my next camping trip".
Old July 18, 2011, 06:02 PM   #22
RETG

Never had a postal clerk ask me what a money order is for. NEVER!

Never had a bank clerk ask me what a cashier's check is for, or the reason I have withdrawen a few thousand in cash at one time.

Now the last time I did get a cashier's check for a gunbroker payment, I told (voluntarily) to the clerk what the check was for. But it was to let her know this new Beretta was replacing a SIG she wanted to purchase.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:37 PM   #23
Baba Louie

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/patriot/index.html

There ya go. Fighting terrorism, as I said. I asked bank teller this afternoon. She was upfront about it and said they're told and taught to be friendly, but ask. If you're a regular customer, no biggie. If you're not... you're being recorded anyway, so smile at the camera. (she laughed when she said that and so did I, because it beats cryin')

She told me where to look it up. It's all there. A whole lot of newly defined by legislature "financial institutions". I feel safer already. Freedom's just another word for one more thing to lose. We're all slaves to something... possibly. A POV thing perhaps.

I mean, if you're not doing anything illegal...
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old July 18, 2011, 09:39 PM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's weird. I got a $475 postal money order last year and the clerk never batted an eye. In fact never made eye contact.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 18, 2011, 10:29 PM   #25
gc70

Quote:
http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/patriot/index.html

There ya go. Fighting terrorism, as I said. I asked bank teller this afternoon. She was upfront about it and said they're told and taught to be friendly, but ask.
The Patriot Act, eh - that's a pretty dense and scary law. Did the teller point to a specific provision of the Patriot Act or just say that the law required them to ask?

I encounter tellers fairly frequently who make things up and, when called on it, claim that their fantasy is required by law.

Last edited by gc70; July 18, 2011 at 10:43 PM.