The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2015, 08:41 AM   #1
NINEX19

.355 Bullets in .357 chamber

I did not want to hijack the ".357 bullets in 9mm" thread, so I thought I should just start a new one though it is almost along the same lines.

Cabela's is having a sale on PPU bullets (http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...Tz_stype%3DGNU). You will notice that they are listed as SJHP in .38 Caliber with a diameter of .380. I thought the diameter must be a misprint since I have never heard of .380 dia. for a .38 caliber bullet.

I have never tried them before, but since the price is right for jacketed, and their ammo is generally decent stuff, I thought I would have a go at it. I ordered them with free shipping and an additional coupon. So at 9 cents a round, I thought it would be worth it.

Anyway, they arrived a few days ago and I remembered what the website said for diameter. I pulled out the micrometer and measured 8-10. They are all coming in at exactly .355" This seems a bit small. I have bought .38 caliber in .356 and .357 before with no issues. Never have I seen .355 sold before in .38 caliber.

Do you think this will be an issue for accuracy/velocity or should I just return them. I suspect there will be no issues, but thought I would run it past others who might have more experience than I. I am assuming these are the same as what they ship in their own loaded cartridges. They seem to be nice looking and well made bullets. They have a covered base, not open like the picture shows.
Old September 22, 2015, 08:50 AM   #2
TimSr

Those are for 9mm/380. Some guns will shoot them okay, and others may have accurracy issues. You can't know until you load them. What is the bullet weight? I doubt they are 158gr as stated in the messed up ad.
Old September 22, 2015, 09:16 AM   #3
MarkCO

It depends on the gun, powder, and what you want to use them for. If it was me, I would shoot them. I would also get on the Cabela's website and post a review with your observations.

I have used .355 bullets in my .38/.357s with good success. There are actually "convertible" revolvers that have cylinders for 9mm and .357 but they use the same barrel of course.
Old September 22, 2015, 09:33 AM   #4
NINEX19

Quote:
What is the bullet weight? I doubt they are 158gr as stated in the messed up ad.
They are indeed 158g SJHP.

Quote:
It depends on the gun, powder, and what you want to use them for.
My plan was for .357 Magnum with Bluedot and H-110.

Quote:
I would also get on the Cabela's website and post a review with your observations.
Good idea. I will do that.
Old September 22, 2015, 09:41 AM   #5
NINEX19

I just looked at PPU's website and they do list them as .355.
http://www.prvipartizan.com/handgun_bullets.php

It appears they do not make any jacketed bullets in .357, only lead. I find this very strange.

Edited to update linking url

Last edited by NINEX19; September 22, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old September 22, 2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

That's not what I see. Most are 0.3555" on their list, but the lead B-089 is 0.3590" (CAS bullet), and the B-140 and B-326 are 0.3575", as are their two .38 Wadcutter bullets.

I would not expect 0.3555" bullets to do very well with accuracy in a 0.357" groove diameter bore. They will probably do best in maximum pressure loads that can bump even a jacketed bullet up a little.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 22, 2015, 10:02 AM   #7
NINEX19

Quote:
That's not what I see. Most are 0.3555" on their list, but the lead B-089 is 0.3590" (CAS bullet), and the B-140 and B-326 are 0.3575", as are their two .38 Wadcutter bullets.
That is exactly what I was saying. Only their non jacketed are .357 (B-326, B-136, B-140 and the two wadcutters).

I am debating whether to experiment with them on accuracy or just to return them. Like I said before, I am pretty sure they would be the same bullet they would use in their factory loaded stuff and I have not heard of any complaints (not that I have looked though).

Last edited by NINEX19; September 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old September 22, 2015, 11:23 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...the messed up ad..." Is being polite. Looks like one of Cabela's under paid PT employees did the script.
"...only lead..." Look again. Prvi's 9mm bullet page is kind of odd too.
Old September 22, 2015, 11:29 AM   #9
NINEX19

Quote:
"...only lead..." Look again. Prvi's 9mm bullet page is kind of odd too.
Maybe I need more coffee this morning. What am I missing? Which jacketed bullets do they say are .357?
Old September 22, 2015, 11:52 AM   #10
mikld

I wouldn't bother. Bullets for 38/357 normally run .357" and mebbe .002" smaller would work, but I'd say they are safe. Accuracy may suffer, but they can be loaded and shot, just don't expect much from mis-matched components...
Old September 22, 2015, 12:04 PM   #11
NoSecondBest

After selling my competition handguns in various 9mm configurations, I ended up with quite a bit of left over bullets. I've tried quite a few different bullets in my .357s but never could get them to shoot very well at all. I can get the .357 bullets to shoot quite well in the 9s but not the other way around. I don't think these are going to work out for you at all.
Old September 22, 2015, 02:08 PM   #12
Hammerhead

I've shot quite a few .355" and .356" bullets in my 357s over the years, usually with good results. Getting decent case tension on the bullet is the key.
I size/re-prime as normal but skip the expander die. I flare slightly with a universal flaring tool and seat.
Old September 23, 2015, 10:41 AM   #13
mikld

Lots of guys are mentioning "expander dies" when discussing straight sided handgun cases. I don't remember seeing such an animal. Flaring dies, yep, but real expander dies, ain't seen none (or at least the 5 different handgun calibers I've reloaded over the pasy 25+ years...). So, whut are they talkin 'bout?
Old September 23, 2015, 11:56 AM   #14
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Lots of guys are mentioning "expander dies" when discussing straight sided handgun cases. I don't remember seeing such an animal. Flaring dies, yep, but real expander dies, ain't seen none (or at least the 5 different handgun calibers I've reloaded over the pasy 25+ years...). So, whut are they talkin 'bout?
I'm surprised you're confused about this. I've been loading for over forty years and it doesn't confuse me one bit. They're talking about dies that expand the case mouth so a bullet can be seated without damaging the base of the bullet or the case mouth. Of course it's possible you're just trying to show us how smart you are. MidwayUSA must be confused also since they advertise expander dies for handgun cases. Maybe you can write them a letter? http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/340...aliber-handgun
Old September 23, 2015, 04:44 PM   #15
mikld

In all my reloading I have flared a few thousand revolver cases for bullet seating, and for mebbe 30 years the dies were "called flaring dies". Expander dies are for bottle necked cases to reform the neck of a case after resizing. I guess it's just a matter of ignorance of proper names being repeated over and over enough times to become "truth"...
Old September 23, 2015, 04:55 PM   #16
MarkCO

NoSecondBest, you took his bait.