The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 26, 2015, 08:09 AM   #76
JimPage

Shooting at steel plates closer than 50 yards sounds stupid to me... Even 50 is marginal.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old June 26, 2015, 01:31 PM   #77
g.willikers

The distance isn't always as important as the quality and set up of the steel targets.
And what is being shot at the steel, of course.
There's plenty of steel targets being engaged with all kinds of guns and ammo every weekend without anyone being damaged.
Most are at less than 25 yards.
Many are at no more than 10 yards.
Old June 26, 2015, 01:36 PM   #78
joshobrien77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_auto View Post
Your access/unloading road is in FRONT of the firing line? Nobody at the club sees this as a problem? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I dont disagree. Was that way before I became a member. First time in 5 years I have had an issue. I plan on emailing the range safety officer this weekend. Don't want the old guy in trouble but I don't wanna see someone shot either.
Old June 28, 2015, 06:44 PM   #79
johnelmore

I think its a good idea for range masters and instructors to wear body armor to the range. There is that familiar red external vest Ive seen around a few ranges. It might be a good idea for a shooter to wear some type of armor too. A lot more people at the range these days with varying levels of experience and younger persons want to experiment.

Range masters should be somewhat strict with the regulations and let people know whats acceptable and whats not either through a verbal briefing, signed disclaimer or signage or all of the above. If someone does something unsafe, the range master should not be shy. If you are at a range with a shy range master leave and find another range.
Old June 28, 2015, 07:16 PM   #80
Don P

Quote:
Shooting at steel plates closer than 50 yards sounds stupid to me... Even 50 is marginal.
Guess you never heard of or have seen the U.S.Steel Challenge.
Click here,http://steelchallenge.com/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 29, 2015, 09:11 PM   #81
Sequins

Someone mentioned body armor, I'd like to mention I wear a IIA to the range. I'll put it over my shirt next time to increase awareness. A IIA can be had for less than $300.
Old June 30, 2015, 09:41 AM   #82
g.willikers

I'm thinking a three sided bullet proof shield might be just right.
Like having one's own portable bunker.
It could even have a built in heater for those cold winter days.
And fans for summer.
Old June 30, 2015, 05:32 PM   #83
spacemanspiff

I have a few.

Two incidents from one individual, (who also did the DB move of trying to help shoot my ammo), on a cold range, picked up a pistol and loaded it up to start shooting, while shooters were downrange. A few minutes later, on a hot range, he tried to run downrange to put up a fresh target. That guy was Dee You Mmm, Dumb!

Another time, not long before fall hunting season, a shooter brought his dog to the range, to get the dog used to being around gunfire. Unleashed, and not under voice command either as the dog made a beeline downrange while it was hot.

Another time, a family came out to shoot, with a little toddler, probably 2 years old. That proceeded to run past the firing line on a hot range. That was the only time I've called a Cease Fire, and all the shooters thankfully cleared their guns in such a haste, without question or hesitation.

A Range volunteer, wanted to show off his 'race gun' he customized in his garage. had a fancy little trigger boot on the face of the trigger, that loosened up, and fell off. So he attempts to put it back on, on his super light trigger, of his loaded pistol. His ND destroyed my stapler that was on the bench.

The ironic thing is, all those incidents happened at the range that everyone here in Anchorage seems to hate because of all the rules the range has. And that they dont like when Range personnel bark at them for violating these rules. When in fact, the rules are NOT so super strict that you can't enjoy shooting.

Nowadays, if I do go to the range, i try and choose a day thats not so busy so I can enjoy my trigger therapy.
Old July 1, 2015, 02:43 PM   #84
P5 Guy

Scary For Sure

Shooting with a group that rented a bay at a local range. A guy had his full-auto run away on him. He fell but happily kept enough control of the run away. Surely some rounds went out of the range but not down the firing line.
Old July 1, 2015, 03:59 PM   #85
dyl

Store/firing range.

I once brought a friend to an indoor combination store/shooting range.

We were shooting the breeze with a gun store employee about something and he took out a pocket pistol and demonstrates its laser. By shining it on my friend's abdomen. I may have said something like "Whoa there, let's watch where we're pointing!". And then he sweeps it towards the firing line on the other side of a plexiglass window. Bet the shooters didn't know they all just got muzzle swept from behind.
Old July 3, 2015, 01:21 PM   #86
Glenn E. Meyer

When I took my first handgun course, if you didn't have gun, they rented you a 3rd Gen SW semi in 9mm. But one guy in the class brought his custom Bang-o-matic. It was an indoor range. The guy goes up and shoots - SPRANG - the cable parts and the target setup falls to the floor. He says that that he reloaded the ammo and must have had a curved round () so it went up from the barrel to the cable. That must be true.
Old July 3, 2015, 01:32 PM   #87
dyl

Curved round. I'm guessing his shots "curved" low and to the left too Perfect alibi.
Old July 3, 2015, 02:14 PM   #88
DaleA

Time for a comment along the lines of "Usually only see that in animated cartoons."

Oh well. Maybe the Taurus 'Curve' could have helped him get back on target. I'm sure he would have held it sideways 'gangsta' style which should have worked...unless he were left handed...are we off topic yet?
Old July 4, 2015, 10:07 AM   #89
g.willikers

What was that ridiculous movie where the actors were supposedly throwing curve balls with their guns and bullets?
Ya' just know that somewhere, someone is going to try it.
Old July 4, 2015, 02:36 PM   #90
Panfisher

I believe it was Assassin or something like that with Angelina Jolie. Mythbustrs tried and tried to get a bullet to curve, but imagine that it never worked.
Old July 4, 2015, 03:52 PM   #91
DaleA

The movie was "Wanted" and is a guilty pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJTXpItCqFU

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493464/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Wanted

If Mythbusters took this on then I'm (slightly) ashamed of Mythbusters. Once in a while they can just say 'Nahhhh.' (But I'll still watch them.)
Old July 5, 2015, 12:49 PM   #92
Panfisher

Yep that the one I was thinking of. Sucks to loose your memory.
Old July 5, 2015, 01:21 PM   #93
DaleA

Quote:
Miserable to loose your memory.
Definitely. And as we age we all know memory is the second thing to go.

(But on the brighter side, you get to hide your own Easter eggs.)
Old July 6, 2015, 02:33 AM   #94
45Gunner

I don't enjoy shooting at public ranges any more because I see so many safety violations that are scary. When I instruct, I have little choice as to what range I can use. My private club range does not authorize instruction to non-members. Back at the public range, the most common thing I see is magazines being inserted into pistols while the gun (for the right handed shooter) is pointing directly to his left while the magazine is being inserted. The other thing I see regularly is a shooter, recognizing that he has a malfunction, will pull the gun into himself to get a better look but the gun will be pointing directly to the guy in the next lane. Very scary.

I have shot at outdoor ranges where there is a RSO for every 6 to 10 shooters. Yet, in the indoor ranges, the only time a RSO appears is to sweep the expended brass away for the active shooters.
NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2015, 08:36 AM   #95
g.willikers

This will no doubt run against the grain but maybe it's time for gun shops and ranges to take a page from the scuba diving playbook.
With providing some training that goes along with gun purchases and range membership.
Modified, of course, to our unique situation.

Last edited by g.willikers; July 6, 2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old July 6, 2015, 12:04 PM   #96
dyl

Mandatory Range training? - yes lots would object. But offers of free training + range time would be a great idea with pistol purchases.

I could also see, however, just a cursory checklist witnessed by the RO for every new range goer to demonstrate safe gun handling. Almost like starting/finishing commands before an IDPA shoot. Then expound verbally on just a couple of choice situations or trouble spots. Wouldn't take 5 minutes. Still wouldn't be popular though.
Old July 7, 2015, 02:37 PM   #97
mwal

At my club we must re certify and go over the range safety rules every 3 years and the club by laws line by line no exceptions. In my years there I have not witnessed any flagrant safety issues on the ranges. When we have public range days for deer rifle sight in s and youth days etc we have a club member at every bench.

Mwal
Old July 7, 2015, 04:10 PM   #98
dyl

Generally, the type of folks that are willing to pony up for a club membership are farther along in their training than someone looking to rent and shoot once.
Perhaps memberships would "weed out" unsafe range goers, but then that makes shooting less accessible in general, more exclusive. And the range wouldn't make as much money to sustain itself. I sure was glad there was somewhere to shoot when I first started.