The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2001, 12:31 PM   #1
Dave R

I can't "go to my left"

Last few times I've shot (hand-thrown) clays, I've noticed that I almost never miss if the bird is flying straight out, or if the bird is flying off to the right.

However, I miss close to half of those flying off to my left.

I'm a right-handed shooter.

Is this a common problem? Is there anything I should work on, other than practicing shooting left more often?
Old June 12, 2001, 12:38 PM   #2
Bud1

Check your foot position

Be sure that your belly button is pointing at the spot where you intend to break the clay.

Most right handed shooters place their left foot well forward, and tend to lean into the gun. That allows plenty of movement to the right, but binds you up if you try to swing left.

All of this assumes that eye dominance is not a problem, etc.
Old June 12, 2001, 02:19 PM   #3
SDC

I had the same problem when I started shooting trap, until I started setting up my stance further to the left. Use the expected rightmost path of the bird to set your stance, and you'll be able to "uncoil" to the left a lot better.
Old June 12, 2001, 05:15 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Set your feet and body to allow more swing to the left. Be sure you are not stopping the gun, keep swinging. Make sure you are not lifting your head.

Also check the patterning of your gun, the gun may be shooting off center and this could cause you to shoot behind the bird. You need to check that the shot pattern is centered on a patterning board.

Geoff Ross
Old June 12, 2001, 06:21 PM   #5
Dave R

Thanks for the tips! This should help with clays. I guess when hunting I just need to swing my body to the left if I get a flush to the left, eh?

I did pattern the gun and its right on (whew!).
Old June 13, 2001, 01:18 PM   #6
Big Bear

I had this same problem and shifting the feet and body helped. I understand this is pretty common for people who also shoot rifles, which I assume you do. You're probably taking a rifle stance. Open up your stance a little and it should help you bag those left flying birds.
Old June 13, 2001, 04:27 PM   #7
Dave R

I think you nailed it. I do use the same stance for rifle and shotgun. Now I've got something to work on. Thanks!