The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2010, 05:22 AM   #26
stevelyn

Yup. It'd be stupid not to.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:01 AM   #27
Win73

Yes, I carry while bow hunting. Actually I have two on me. I carry my S&W Model 637 .38 snub in my pocket. I also carry my S&W Model 317 .22 with 3" barrel and adjustable sights in a holster on my hip.

I think I have good reason to go armed that way. Opening day (Oct. 15) of bow season, as I was getting my gear out of the truck, two coyotes ran by within 10 feet of me. Then as I was walking to my stand, I came within four feet of a skunk. (I had previously gotten a picture of a skunk on my game camera.)

The land I hunt is not my own but the owner has given me permission to do just about anything I want on it. That includes dealing with a poacher that he has had trouble with any way I deem appropriate. Just this past Friday while moving my game camera and changing out the memory stick, I met two trespassers on the land. They weren't armed in any way (at least visibly). They said they had shot a deer on other property and had trailed it that far. Neither one of them was the poacher. While talking to them I kept the .38 in my hand in my pocket.

And finally the odds of ever seeing a game warden on the property is about 99.99% against. I know the owner would never call him on me. If he did come there he would have to drive down a long driveway to the owner's house, then continue past the house a couple of hundred yards to the owner's workshop, then start walking into the woods about three hundred yards to find me.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 24, 2010, 08:00 PM   #28
turbotype87

carry while bow hunting

Wish i could, But here in CT you can't by law. Don't make any sense to me. You never know what your going to encounter on your way to your stand early in the morning.
Old October 25, 2010, 01:03 PM   #29
jhog1

I carry.........my bow, a small pack and sometimes a snack or two......Not much dangerous game around here, yotes and black bears are about the worst of it they scare off pretty easy though. A friend sent me this email last night:

No deer again tonight but now I know why...I had a 230-250# black bear boar lay down for 35 minutes 15 yards from my blind. It wouldn't leave even after yelling at it, throwing sticks etc.. I had to get out of the blind and walk towards it yelling and stomping for it to even acknowledge my presence. Then it reluctantly walked away with me behind it for about 40 yards to keep it moving
Old October 25, 2010, 01:53 PM   #30
Chunkychuck

In MN you can only carry if you are bow hunting bear, elk or moose. The state statue setting out the Permit to Carry laws has a preemption section that prohibits any gov't agency from passing a restriction like this but I'm not willing to be the test case.
Old October 25, 2010, 02:32 PM   #31
AJG

Always,,,, and not just when bow hunting either!