The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 22, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1
tjhands

10mm: one good batch, one BAAAAD batch

Haddy!

I just started loading for my Glock 20 with a KKM aftermarket barrel. I was told (by many folks) that Power Pistol is typically one of the best powders for mid-to-high range 10mm loads, so that's the only kind I bought.

I'm using 180 grain bullets. I loaded 15 rounds of XTPs over 7.5g, 15 rounds of XTPs over 7.9g, and 15 rounds of XTPs over 8.4g. I also loaded the same powder increments with some cheaper FMJ bullets.

Bottom line: they all sucked with a capital "S". The accuracy was pitiful. At 25 yards, I couldn't even hit the paper plate with any consistancy. One would go high and right, the next low and left....it was disheartening!

I then loaded up some rounds with W231 powder and lo and behold....accuracy! All 45 rounds in a 6-inch group offhand at 25 yards.

I guess the moral of the story is that one kind of powder is not necessarily the best for a certain caliber. Live and learn!
Old September 25, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

10mm: load or shooter?

IMNSLE Blue Dot and 800X (DANGER! Some lots of 800X have been found to act erratically!) offer the highest performance potential.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:50 PM   #3
caz223

Never had a problem with blue dot in 10mm, esp. with heavier bullets.
With lighter bullets, MAYBE power pistol would be better.
Haven't tried 800x, heard it meters like poop through a powder measure in a progressive.
I'm sure there are sucess stories with it, and lots of people swear by 800x, but I refuse to weigh out powder charges when I have a 550b that works.