The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2005, 06:20 PM   #1
rangermonroe

Winchester CT balistic silvertip for bear?

Do you think that this would be an appropriate bullet for Black bear.

150 gr 270

180 gr 308?
Old August 13, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Ruger # 1

I would say either round would be effective on black bear. However, I would be more inclined to use Partitions in the same weight class.Ballistic Tips may or may not exit. This is not a bad thing, esp on deer, but bear can sometimes be hard to bloodtrail so an exit wound would be helpful. Other choices would be Swift Scirroccos, Nosler Accubonds, Hornady Interbonds, or Speer grand Slams, in the same caliber and weight ranges as you stated.
BUT, to answer your question, the two ballistic tips you asked about will work, especially if you avoid hitting the shoulder and take out the lungs. Good hunting! Let us know how they work out.
Old August 14, 2005, 08:10 AM   #3
rangermonroe

Thanks!

I will be hunting on open tundra, not in the woods, so blood trailing should not be as important.

I'll let y'all now, in about 3 weeks!
Old August 14, 2005, 08:51 AM   #4
roger1shot

Sound's Great

Man that's what I would like to go hunting for.Bear man this would be the top of the line of a hunting trip.Good luck and be sure to let us know how the trip turns out.
Old August 14, 2005, 09:01 AM   #5
rangermonroe

Well, this will be my second trip to hunt caribou...first time to Canada. For $125 more I can hunt bear too, and the outfitter recomended it...said there are a bunch at the camps.

Dad called me 2 weeks ago and said "set it up, it's on me".

So now I'm scrambling to get stuff ready, to include some appropriate ammo.

We don't have much use for "bear medicine" on the coastal plain of Georgia.
Old August 16, 2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Ruger # 1

Best of luck! Let us know what ammo you decide to use and how it works out!
Old August 18, 2005, 08:24 PM   #7
308LAW

Bear are tough creatures, and they can be dangerous when wounded, I wouldn't take a chance with a thin hollow point bullet design( like the ballistic tip noslers)
Use a controlled expansion bullet or a bonded bullet. The Nolser partition is the bullet that all others are judged by, or their are several other bonded bullets out there. Swift A-frame, Winchester Fail-safe, Hornady Accubond, Federal Fussion, Remington Core-lock Ultra, just to name a few.
Old August 20, 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
bugmantrap

bear medicine

Good luck on your hunt ranger. As to proper bear medicine, remenber one thing, you are hunting black bear, not rhino. Any rifle from 243 100 gr. to 338 250's will kill a black bear nicely if you put it where it is supposed to go. I have shot a few with 357 mag to 35 whelen and they are not particularly hard to kill. Either of the bullets you mentioned will do the job if you do yours. Please let us know how you make out. My two cents
Trapper
Old August 20, 2005, 08:52 PM   #9
rangermonroe

Well, here is the recipe...43.5 gr of IMR 4895, generic winchester primer, New Remington Nickel plated brass, Winchester ST 150 gr nosler ST.

I am gonna catch the range this week, to check POI. As it is, my gun prefers 150's more than I do.

Oh, BTW, I am shooting a WAL-Mart Remington 700 ADL.

Ugliest girl at the prom...but the best date a guy could ask for.
Old August 23, 2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Lycanthrope

The new CT Ballistic tips in 140gr have more penetration than the 160gr Partitions in .284 at high speeds. I know, I know....the gun rags say otherwise, but my experiences have differred greatly.
Old September 20, 2005, 03:07 PM   #11
rangermonroe

Well, Both loads worked flawlessly on 'bou.

Didn't see any bears....oh well.The 270 exited all three times, The 300 Savage broke both shoulders and stayed just inside the opposite shoulder. I recovered the slug, and it looked like an advertisement mushroom.
Old September 20, 2005, 03:09 PM   #12
Lycanthrope

Thanks for the update. I suspected they would do well. The newer BT bullets are not nearly as explosive as they are made out to be.
Old September 22, 2005, 01:16 PM   #13
rangermonroe

No, they did't seem to over expand.

The big bull I shot had a double lung pass through with my 270. I didn't take time to examine the holes for bone frags, as it was foul weather and night was approaching.

I am pleased with the results.

However, I had killed this animal, but it took him a few minutes to realize this.

I actually walked over to it ( as I could hear his breath Whistling and see the blood froth at the wound) and chased it a few steps. It expired directly after I cussed him good and propper.