The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2012, 03:37 PM   #76
Rick F

Quote:
I see people keep saying Walthers have HK quality for close to half the price. My experience doesn't match this. Regardless, if it keeps up you'll have to send it in. Curious if you still send it to S&W or Walther at this point given their contract expiring.
I know the PPS and P30L are wildly different animals, but comparing perceived quality and fit n finish, I'd have to agree with TunneRat. I do understand a PPQ/P99 would be a more direct comparison however . . .

With the PPS, I finally understand what people meant by having a "gritty" trigger. Imho, for the purpose of this gun, and for my ability, I find this to be more of a quirk than actually hampering performance.
Sig P220 Elite Stainless .45 /// H&K P30L 9mm /// Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 /// S&W 686+ 5" Pro /// Walther PPS 9mm /// SA MC Operator .45 /// LMT MRP w/ACOG TA11HG /// Ruger Scout w/Nikon /// Benelli Nova Tactical 12g /// EVO X & S2000
Old December 5, 2012, 04:08 PM   #77
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Interesting. I've seen issues where it didn't chamber. IMO, and I realize Fishbed will come attack me in my sleep for saying this, I think the P99/PPQ do have one design flaw: a very steep feed ramp. Now some guns have the same phenomenon, but the nose of the round barely hits the feed ramp at all while chambering so it's really a non-issue. With the P99 and PPQ the round makes a rather steep climb to chamber, and I've seen weaker loaded ammunition or weaker cycling cause issues with this.

If it keeps up you'll have to send it in. Curious if you still send it to S&W or Walther at this point given their contract expiring.

lol I was thinking that too...About Mr. Fishbed...

I agree with you, it doesn't even sound like the bullet is going into the chamber smoothly. It makes plenty of ruckus. After pulling that stunt it just pulled on me today? Not going to mess with that one for a little while. It's next to the Glock 19 now and it's issues.

I'm not sure...I think this batch goes to S&W. Says so on the slide. Guess I'll call and find out.

It's only 300 rounds old. What a PITA. -___-
Old December 5, 2012, 04:11 PM   #78
TunnelRat

Quote:
It's only 300 rounds old. What a PITA. -___-
I hear ya. Luckily judging by your signature you at least have a number of fine firearms to take its place . My wife always asks me why I have so many handguns. Stories like this, multiple guns having issues, are a good example of why, and a good excuse .
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 5, 2012, 04:50 PM   #79
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I hear ya. Luckily judging by your signature you at least have a number of fine firearms to take its place . My wife always asks me why I have so many handguns. Stories like this, multiple guns having issues, are a good example of why, and a good excuse .

lol thanks brother...and YES! Perfect reason and excuse.

If I could only count the amount of times I've had "amazing deals" and they were "at cost". Oh such good friends..they're imaginary.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:33 PM   #80
Rick F

^Good luck getting your Walther issues resolved. (not meant in a srcastic way)
Sig P220 Elite Stainless .45 /// H&K P30L 9mm /// Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 /// S&W 686+ 5" Pro /// Walther PPS 9mm /// SA MC Operator .45 /// LMT MRP w/ACOG TA11HG /// Ruger Scout w/Nikon /// Benelli Nova Tactical 12g /// EVO X & S2000