The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Creek Henry

Anyone hunt Crow?

There are a few online sites that in to crow-busting and they make it sound like the be all, end all. It does sound like you get a lot of wing shooting in and get rid of some flying pests, but have any of you tried it?
Old February 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Pahoo

More fun than you can imagine.

I/We, hunt crows when the season is in and it's a whole bunch of fun and very challenging. Crow are "extremely" smart but very predictable. I mostly hunt alone but when our group of three gets together we have a strategy. You need one or two callers and switch back and forth between two basic calls. When I hunt alone and get the first one on the ground, I can get them to keep coming back. You have to wear camo, be still and patient. Those sight you mentioned, are good and that is how I got started. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 12, 2012, 11:19 AM   #3
kraigwy

When I was a kid we lived on my uncles farm, he paid me 25cents a piece for every crow I shot out of his corn field.

Problem was, I was too young to really shoot a shotgun so I'd take a nap in the black berry bushes that lined the corn field. When I woke up, there would be crows setting on the stocks. I'd let loose with an old rabbit eared dbl 12 gage.

I got fired, I was doing more damage to the corn then the crows were.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 12, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4
TX Hunter

I have hunted Crow a few times to protect a garden, Its challenging, the Crows do send in a Scout, and you have to take him out, or the rest will not come. I would use the Crow Locater call that I used Turkey Hunting, wear some Cammo, and call the crows into the garden when you start hearing them near there. We would often hang dead crows around a garden to warn off other crows.
They get the message pretty quick when there is danger in the area.
Old February 12, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Code3GT

I've never hunted them but could. Everytime I coyote hunt and turn on the caller, the crows come in right away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old February 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Pahoo

Get the Scout !!!

Quote:
Crows do send in a Scout, and you have to take him out,
Absolutely and he will come in nice and quiet. You really have to be on the look-out for him. Once you take him out, I wait a little and then, start my distress call. Hang on cause here they come, to the rescue. ....
"Hide" in good cover and keep all movements to a minimum. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 12, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Robinson

Yup all the time. I like 10 gauge 2 oz rounds choked to full. Hunt on the edge of a field or waterway, use a couple different calls, don't shoot the scout, full camo and remember the noise of a gun doen't scare them off.
Old February 13, 2012, 03:20 AM   #8
warbirdlover

About 100 years ago I had a friend who hunted them with a .22-.250. That's the only guy I remember ever hunting them. I have them in the trees all around my deer blind. Noisy suckers.
Old February 13, 2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Anyone hunt Crow?
No but I've ate it a few times.

On a serious note I went with a couple of friends one time down by a land fill and we used to shoot them with our varmit rifles.
We would shoot a few they would take off and come right back, I guess they just could not resist the free meal the garbage in the land fill offered.

I also find that when I go out coyote calling, as soon as I start calling if they are around they seem to come in.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Pahoo

Crows have incredible eye-sight !!!

Another trick we use, in an open snow area, is to lay out a rabbit pelt, hair side down, and sprinkle a little red dye on it and the snow. This time, we don't shoot the scout and just let him come in and take a good look. We try to wait for one to go down to the pelt and then pick him off. We call to "come here" and just pick them off. They will keep coming down to the pelt. When they fly off, we just wait a bit and start calling again. Eventually, they will not come back, that period !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old February 13, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Gunplummer

It is not as popular as it used to be, maybe because we don't have as many as we used to. The farmers plant treated corn that kills them now. When I was a kid it was really big. There were big club shoots every year. The crows were so bad that they used to string dynamite in the roosts and touch it off at night. They killed thousands that way.
Old February 13, 2012, 03:22 PM   #12
ronto

Can't eat it...I don't kill it.

I don't kill things for fun. If any critter causes damage to my property or crops, it would be another story. For example, I shoot armadillos on sight.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old February 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Pahoo

Life is never fair but pretty darn good !!

Quote:
I don't kill things for fun.
And you don't know much about crows. .....
Read about what Crows and Jays, do to eggs and chicks, in the next. ...

Quote:
The farmers plant treated corn that kills them now.
Nothing has a right to live forever and if you kill anything, you should have a good reason. Now, much of a reason but it should be a valid one. I have eaten crow, in the past and if I had to, I'd do it again and then some.

Be Safe !!!
Old February 13, 2012, 05:42 PM   #14
markj

We used a owl statue, brings em right in. Old fellow I knew would eat them, he ate anything I ever brought to him. He lived to be very old eating almost all wild animals.
Old February 14, 2012, 09:20 PM   #15
Prof Young

Eat them Crows

Hunters:
Actually crow breast if pretty good eating. Marinate them in teriyaki sauce and make caw-bobs out of them. And don't tell me they are scavengers who eat crap. Lobsters are scavengers too. Check out the crow busters web site for more recipes. Not kidding.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old February 17, 2012, 12:02 AM   #16
johnmcgowan

Ive been crow hunting, its a blast!
I have a Johnny Stewart Electronic wireless caller and some crow decoys as well as a hoot owl decoy that I hang up that I got from Midway. One of my digital cards on my caller has the crow and hawk fight on it, most crows cant resist trying to buzz an owl or a hawk. I start calling to get them coming my way , then I turn the call off once they get close and then lay into them with some #6 or 7 shot. They generally will come in several at a time when they think one of their own is in trouble.
Get under some cover plenty of time ahead before you start calling as these things WILL spot you if you move around when they are coming to check the caller out. Wear you some camo too. We have no closed season for crows here in 'Bama, those suckers are everywhere here.

Landfills or dumps always seems to hold lots of crows.
Good luck, be safe and have fun!!!
John
Old February 19, 2012, 10:17 AM   #17
seansean1444

just dusted one with the 12ga while rabbit hunting haha
Old February 20, 2012, 03:18 PM   #18
1hogfan83

whenever we go turkey hunting we always use crow calls to locate turkeys, they hate crows. sometimes they'll come down with the turkeys. We really dont go out looking for crow but if we see one in the field we'll bust them with a .22 or a .223. Its just like starlings, if the opritunity presents its self, blow them away! I love to shoot them off power lines or fence posts, I only use the .22 on power lines.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 20, 2012, 03:49 PM   #19
Noonan

I went out scouting Turkeys yesterday morning. Saw about 300 crows. We will be hunting them this Saturday. It think I will make some crow confit.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:05 PM   #20
langenc

Make sure you use some kind of a net over your face. They shiny face looking up at them scares them quickly.
Old March 2, 2012, 01:52 AM   #21
farmerboy

I use an old Johnny Stewart cassette caller. Push play, grab shotgun and get ready! Usually they come in very quick/ about 2 minutes but you have to move around from week to week because you can hunt a spot out if you don't change it up. But great fun and they're great eating.
Old March 2, 2012, 04:59 PM   #22
aarondhgraham

They were fair game when I was a kid,,,

But I've never actually heard of formal crow hunting before,,,
Other than the afore-mentioned pest eradication games.

Me and my miscreant buddies would go to the dump,,,
And pick them off when they were foraging,,,
They didn't seem too wary back then,,,
They landed and we popped em,,,
22 shorts well spent.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 2, 2012, 05:02 PM   #23
markj

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1330725707

Pic I snapped today while taking salt blocks out to the pasture, gonna move the cows... Season will be here very soon. Some big toms there. Got my spot all picked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turkey.jpg (138.5 KB, 41 views)
Old March 3, 2012, 11:11 PM   #24
Win73

I have killed two crows in my life. The first was about 35 years ago. I shot it out of the top of a sapling at about 90 yards with an M1 carbine. The second was three years ago. I was dove hunting. I was standing under a tree waiting for the dove to start flying. I heard some crows behind me. I looked around the tree and saw two crows flying straight toward me. I decided that when they got out in front of me I would shoot one of them. But one of them landed in the tree directly above me. I pointed my Remington 1100 straight up and shot the crow. It fell at my feet. I only had to bend over to pick it up.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:27 AM   #25
publius

Crow hunting is a lot of fun, closest thing to duck hunting there is. Crows are very smart and have excellent eyesight. Stay well hidden and you must kill the first bird (the scout) or the hunt is over. Expect to move around a lot because you usually don't kill but a few at each spot. I really like electronoc calls. I have a few full body crow decoys and have made some silouhette decoys out of plywood.