The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Best economy brass
Remington 6 31.58%
Winchester 10 52.63%
Hornady 0 0%
Federal 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 19, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Best rifle brass to reload from factory ammo, among the "Big 4"?

Rank these from best to worst: Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady. I'm guessing Rem is not best...
Old June 19, 2007, 11:11 PM   #2
firechicken

I like my R-P brass. The primer pockets "feel" the best to me. I seat primers with an RCBS hand priming tool, and the R-P cases give me a very consistant feel. Winchester cases don't "feel" quite as good. No experience with Hornady or Federal. I hate military cases that have had the crimp removed.:barf: R-P cases usually don't need trimmed after the first firing/resizing, Winchester cases almost always need trimmed after the first firing/resizing.......my experience, anyway.
Old June 20, 2007, 01:01 AM   #3
fourrobert13

My vote went to Winchester. I load a lot of this stuff in 223 and I get a lot of loads out of it. Some times I buy it new and load up some match ammo for my AR or my Bolt gun. Either way, I have always had good luck with it.

On a side note, I have never had any problems with Remington brass, but I don't find much unless I buy it. Not much expirence with the others listed.

Old June 20, 2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Shooter 973

Best rifle brass???

I have to go with Federal. I have a lot of differant types of brass available to me but my choice is Federal. They ONLY make ammo, not rifles, shotguns or handguns. The primer pockets of Federal are very consistant and hold up very well for me. I use a Lee priming tool and you can feel the difference in primer pockets. There aren't any bad "Name" brands of brass, Just personal preferances.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?