The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 20, 2010, 08:43 PM   #26
BullfrogKen

Well I've been fortunate in my life. I figured I'd share the insights my circumstances have taught me.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:06 AM   #27
Glenn Dee

Mr BullFrog.

Your response is the best advice I've seen on choosing a trainer. Kudos from me sir. Thoughtfull, honest, and relevent.

Again my thanks.

Glenn.
Old March 28, 2010, 10:17 AM   #28
Puntmefar

if you go to the NRA website you can search local training classes. It will give you cost,location,and contact info

http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp
Old March 28, 2010, 10:18 AM   #29
Matt19

Joash: What Mr. Bullfrog said is so spot on that you need to take it to heart.

I can tell you this though: Once you have gone through a really good course, you'll come home and immediately start planning ahead for your next one.

Start planning today. Start saving today. If you start now, and it is two years before you get to go, guess what? You'll have everything you need for the course as well as be in a position to not have any debt afterward. Even if you have to drive a thousand miles to get to the course, you won't regret it one bit. So sit down and plan it out so your budget doesn't take a hit.
Old March 28, 2010, 07:10 PM   #30
BullfrogKen

Thanks again for the kind words. I've just been very fortunate.
Old December 9, 2011, 12:55 AM   #31
Joash

update re. training

I know you have all been waiting with baited breath since I started this thread in March 2010, but I am finally heading down to a local range next week and breaking my guns out of mothballs.

Hopefully some time in 2012 I can try one of the courses from international tactical (local), LMS or perhaps something else.

I have been trying to watch videos on Youtube to get a flavor for what to expect from various courses.

Thank you for all of your well thought out input.
Old December 9, 2011, 01:52 AM   #32
kraigwy

I know this is an old topic, but I just read BullfrogKen's opinion on the subject.

Excellent............all I can say is Excellent.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 9, 2011, 07:54 AM   #33
NYC Drew

Something I posted here on 5 months ago.

Choose a school based on how what they fit meets your training goals, budget and schedule.

---------------

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...8&postcount=14

The below is an except culled from my own (internally) previously published material. I have to agree with much, if not most of what has already been presented here.

EXPERIENCE is the most important facet for all transfer of human learning.

Thus, the most important requirement for any trainer is solid foundation in the skill or knowledge they claim (or wish to gain) proficiency in. I know a lot of cats who THINK they can shoot...and the reality is, they really can't, because they do not have a clear understanding of the (shooting) fundamentals, and don't understand how consistently adhering to fundamentals provide consistent results. These would be the folks that talk about how "different" or difficult it is to move from shooting a "1911" to shooting a "SIG/M&P/H&K/Glock/Revolver". Pistol (or rifle) shooting fundamentals are just that. It does not matter if it's a two stage trigger or a 11lb trigger.

A good instructor should be able to positively motivate the student candidate from first contact. In general more learning can, and will take place if folks are highly motivated compared to not being positively motivated. This means that attitude, appearance, demeanor, hygiene and environment presented by the instructor play a crucial role in enhancing the (a) student’s mindset and thus motivation. Much of this transpires before the instructor has formally introduced him/herself. Unfortunately, many of the courses I have participated in (from the perspective of being a student or in the audience), the psychology and physiology of learning are not presented until the tail end of the presentation...and instructor trainer classes often recommend these portions are presented after the general body of information is delivered to the student.
It is not everyone that shows up that wants to learn...but it would certainly help if you had the tools with which to motivate them towards that end.

For ADULT students, trainers must also be able to present the new material being introduced to the student, in such a way that there is some association with some existing knowledge the student already has. This will allow for fast(er) assimilation of knowledge and skill.

Trainers must also constantly reflect back to when they were learning a (the) skill or assimilating new information. Too many of us forget how difficult it was to learn what we now construe to be rudimentary tasks (example, locking the action on a semi automatic rifle open). Since basic shooting is very skills dependent, an effective trainer will attempt to, as much as is possible, ensure that much of the instructional method incorporates hands on exercises, and if possible, “teach backs”.

For instructors of beginning students, it is critical to cover the fundamentals of shooting without attempting to impress new shooters with skills beyond the scope of training. I have suffered mightily thru classes being regaled with tales from trainers about scenarios and circumstances that did not reinforce the course objectives.

All the best!