The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Foxbat

The primer madness

How many of you are falling victims to this madness? I keep buying the primers anywhere I see them. Net result - while shooting thousands rounds each month, my primer stock is growing steadily, now over 40,000... but I can't control myself.

Reminds me of stories of hunger victims who can't stop eating.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
kwells6

wow... let someone else buy some. im not getting mad or anything, but thats the reason why primers got so hard to come buy, people hoarding them
Old December 10, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Foxbat

I will not deny - there is definitely that element, hence the "madness" header. On the other hand, of some of these primers I only have a six month supply - hardly a huge overstocking.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:07 PM   #4
HisSoldier

I understand, I just got in another 10K and still feel vulnerable to the whims of despicable marxists "leaders". The question becomes how much is enough? Is there a number?
I think it is a symptom of a psychological phobia that will only get better after 10 or 20 years of Ronald Reagan type presidents in succession.

The hard reality is that if evil men continue to take more and more power a warehouse full of primers and powder would not help, unless one has an underground range.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Winterhawk56

wow allot of primers!
Old December 11, 2009, 12:35 AM   #6
medalguy

Winterhawk, not really. Those of us who shoot a lot use a lot of primers, and I mean a LOT. Personally I probably load about 10,000 rounds a month and shoot 2/3 of that, the remainder going to my stock. I buy powder 50 - 100 pounds at a whack to both reduce per pound cost, hazmat charges per pound, and get it when it's available.

Everything is relative. Guys who load casually and load 10 - 100 rounds a month may buy 500 primers at a time and think they use a lot. That's 6 months worth to them.
Old December 11, 2009, 01:05 AM   #7
Winterhawk56

I guess I keep about 2000 of each type, small pistol, small piston mags, large pistol and so on! I guess if you shoot that much it makes since!

My shooting is perhaps three to four time a month occasionally more. I could see if you shoot that much then 40K would be a drop in the bucket!
Old December 11, 2009, 09:30 AM   #8
hans4811

10K rounds a month !!

Jeeezzz,do you work ??

I'm like you Winterhawk, weekends only as time allows, and even then I can only shoot for a couple of hours before my concentration just falls off....couple hundred rounds maybe.

I try not to get into this whole hoarding mentality, I have about the same as you in stock. I look at it this way, may be naive, but with an organization as powerful as the NRA in washington and the amount of lobbyists that go with that, do you really think the Obama administration is gonna go against that ? It would be career suicide IMHO....

People are just panicing...buy what you need and leave some for the next guy..
Old December 11, 2009, 02:58 PM   #9
fishman35

Quote:
but thats the reason why primers got so hard to come buy, people hoarding them
That is a small part of it, but more it was the military. I can get it everywhere now. Finally got a 6 month old order from Cabelas. Thanks goodness they finally came back. I shoot every weekend, and hundreds of rounds.
Old December 11, 2009, 03:10 PM   #10
reloader28

There is a difference in stockpiling for loading and stockpiling against gov bans.
If you shoot enough to need that many primers, thats fine. I can use a brick a week myself.
If you stockpile to protect against governmental bans like a lot of people I know, you are completly wasting your time and precious money.
I've heard a lot of people say " you need to have 10-20,000 primers on had in case they ban ammo and guns. If they get that done, you better not be out there shooting except in absolute last resort.
I have about 2500 LR primers (not counting other primers) and if ammo and guns get banned, that will last a long ,long time in feeding and protecting my family.
I have also never understood why someone would stockpile pistol ammo for this purpose. I have nothing against pistol and in fact I love them. But if 10-40 BG are close enough you need a pistol, you dont have much life expectancy left.
Everyone has opinions and this is just mine.
Old December 11, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
DiscoRacing

I have nearly 35,000 myself.... lookin for small pistol now... cant find em here again
Old December 11, 2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Rembrandt

Rather not say how many, only that they're stored in multiple locations to meet the fire codes.
Old December 11, 2009, 07:02 PM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

When I hit 27,000 I stopped. But some Remington 5 1/2's were available at Midway this week and I'm down to 1500 of them. Because I have developed a number of loads specifically with these I decided to order another 2000. Aside from that, I had gotten over my hoarding impulses.
Old December 12, 2009, 02:15 AM   #14
buffalo

I had been buying them whenever i could but i now have a guy that gets a steady supply in every month of whatever i want at very good prices so i stopped hoarding them,long as the supply doesn't stop i'll leave some for others that need them more.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:13 AM   #15
OldJim

primers

Yup,

I would rather have "a lot", as compared to "not enough".
Old December 12, 2009, 01:51 PM   #16
James R. Burke

This is some good info on what hoarding is or not. I guess it can be looked at in a few differnt ways as was once pointed out to me. Just leaves me wondering.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:10 PM   #17
That'll Do

I keep about 3000 small pistol, 1000 small pistol magnum, and 2000 large pistol on hand at any given time (I shoot about 500-700 rounds a week).
Old December 12, 2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Don P

Quote:
10K rounds a month !!

Jeeezzz,do you work ??
I was wondering the same thing
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:57 AM   #19
James R. Burke

That'll Do sounds like your just trying to keep up to what you are using. Glad you can find what you need. More power to you on the shooting, I wish I could that much, but I have two many sticks in the old fire. I dont reload as much as most of you, but try to do my fair share. I really dont need two many on hand. I try to stay at about 1,000 small pistol, same for the mag pistol, about 1,000 large rifle mag that is hardly used anymore, and about 3,000 large rifle. My wife also use's alot of the large rifle. If I fall below those levels I try to stock back up. I use to have way more than what I was using. So even if I fall alittle below what I like to have it's no big deal. Some folks just plain out shoot alot, and that's great. Alot is beign used by your competition shooters, and then throw some wars in it, and it adds up. I guess I cant even blame the hoarders anymore after reading, and learning more on the subject. I guess they just need alot to feel good about not needing to be in a panick over them. Seems like I can always find powder. I do find the primers but most the time not the ones I use. I like sticking to the one's that I worked the load up for, even though I know there are alot of good makes. Like I said I made some mistakes on prior post, and I am sorry about that but one in hear just struck me in a differnt way.
Old December 13, 2009, 01:09 PM   #20
wncchester

"How many of you are falling victims to this madness?"

Not me. Certainly not at current prices, I have a life outside shooting and refuse to get ripped off.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:07 PM   #21
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Buying primers when they become available doesn't mean getting ripped off. Aside from 3 boxes I bought for $30, every other box has cost me between $24 and $28. The trick is spending a lot of time online and visiting local stores. And that will certainly eat up a good bit of your time.
Old December 13, 2009, 04:18 PM   #22
Foxbat

Quote:
I have a life outside shooting and refuse to get ripped off.
Well, it's all been downhill since the Manhattan Purchase and 29 cent a gallon gas...

Do you drive?
Old December 13, 2009, 04:27 PM   #23
wncchester

"How many of you are falling victims to this madness?"

Not me, certainly not at current prices. I have a life outside shooting and simply refuse to get ripped off. Perhaps it's those who are "victims" of the madness who are its cause?
Old December 13, 2009, 04:46 PM   #24
Dizzy

All I can say is wow! LOL the way I look at it is. If you can afford to purchase 50k primers than do it. Why should you deprive yourself on something you love. More power to ya foxbat!!!!