The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 6, 2009, 09:22 PM   #1
2DaMtns

Which Mauser 98 action is "best?"

So I know a guy who is really into these rifle and is always telling me about this year's action and that one, etc., etc. He has a couple of really nice ones and over time has gotten me to wanting one. The other day I was talking to him and he has an action that he said was a German made 1915 action and that it is one of the best ones you can get for a rifle. What does he mean by it being the best? Strongest, most reliable, or what? Thanks in advance.
Old January 6, 2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Scorch

"Best" in that case usually refers to smoothest action and best finish from the factory. All of the Mauser 98 actions were essentially the same, but there are a few that are especially desirable due to finish, hinged floorplate, very well-done metal finishing, etc. The 1909 Argentine rifle is considered one of the finest military Mauser 98 actions ever produced, because they were made at a time when the firms marketing those rifles were trying very hard to capture more of the military business around the world. There was a war going on in S. America during that time (one of the longest-running wars since the Middle Ages), and the Argentines had the money to pay for the best.
Old January 6, 2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Ruger4570

I have to agree with Scorch, the Argentine Mausers..
Old January 7, 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Hawg

Argentine is best followed by F.N. in my opinion. F.N.'s are easier to find but you can buy two nice new rifles for what it'll cost to build a sporter off a Mauser action and do it right.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:13 PM   #5
GEM

Echoing the vote for the Argentine. Most of today's modern bolts are based on the Mauser bolt. Sure, they tune, tweak and slightly change the design, but essentially it hasn't changed much. Some things simply can't be improved upon, even if the design IS a hundred years old.

I think I just saw my 1911's all nodding.