The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Brian Williams

Gonna get a S&W 58 and I need 41 mag loads

I would like to know what the 41 Mag guru's have for favorite loads. I will probably use some kind of LSWC around 210-220 grs. What powder and how much for genreal loads to be used for plinking, target, carry and hunting. I would like to get a good load that will take care of all of the above and not have to have 3 or 4 loads or bullets. I would like a cross between the factory police and hunting loads.
I will probably cast the bullets so if you know of a good SWC with gas check I would like to know the manufacturer and mold #
Old January 23, 2005, 03:59 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

My one load - not the same as yours

I used the Sierra 210 JHC over a casefull of 296 with good brass and all the bullet pull I could get from wasp waisted case tension -shot to the sights, grouped well at 100 yards.

Although I do have molds for .410 and cast for other pistols I really did go one load for the .41 and found a consistent available factory bullet was my choice.

I can imagine going with a hard cast bullet for penetration rather than expansion in a heavy revolver but I am not sure that is the way to go in the .41 for defense as well as sport.
Old January 23, 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
steveno

8.5 grains of Unique and a 210 grain swc is good for about 1,150 fps out of my 4 inch M-57. if for some reason that I need more power (and that isn't very often) I use 20 grains of h-110 and the Remington 210 grain softpoint. since you have fixed sight you will have try some loads to see where a load hits with your sight picture
Old January 23, 2005, 08:12 PM   #4
Poygan

I've had a Model 58 since the early seventies. Personally, I wouldn't feed it a lot of full power loads. You didn't specify what you wanted to hunt with it. If its white tail deer, I would either use a JHP or a hard cast with gas check and nice wide meplat. But for general use, I would start with something around 215 grains and a plain base and 8 grains of Unique or maybe Universal. Haven't done much with Universal yet - haven't used up the Unique I have on hand. The 58 isn't that heavy so full power loads get your attention rather quickly. And, besides the annoyance factor, full snort loads aren't necessary for plinking or smaller critters. Its a keeper - enjoy!
Old January 24, 2005, 02:44 AM   #5
BillCA

If you're getting a Model 58, just keep in mind they're not made any more and they do have some collector's value. That said, we'd love to see some pictures of that M&P cannon!

I'll agree with the 210/215gr LSWC and about 8gr of Unique. Good load. Stiff enough that you'll never wonder if the gun fired but not an ear-ringing wrist breaker of a load. Should be sufficient to drop deer sized game at 50 yds.
Old January 24, 2005, 07:06 AM   #6
MADISON

S&W 58 Loads

S&W 58 Loads...
I have owned a Model 58.
Somewhere in my memory I remember somebody telling me that the 58 was designed for the "Police Load". I shot some hot loads throught mine.
My loads are:
210 or 220 grain JHP
17.5 grains of 2400 Caution this is listed as max or over max in some manuals.
8.0 grains of UNIQUE...Duplicates the Old Police Load.
5.0 grains of UNIQUE...A good PPC load.
Old January 24, 2005, 02:45 PM   #7
Leftoverdj

The major makers no longer offer .41 GCs. Only supplier that I know of is Gater and he has a 5000 minimum order. That gives a natural solution to one of your requirements. Use jacketed bullets and a healthy charge of H 110, WW 296 or AA 9 for your hunting loads, and 8 grains of Unique under a plain based 210-220 cast for everything else. Ain't the same as one load to do it all, but you can tell which is which at a glance.

I had a Model 58 in the long ago, and mine shot to POA with the Unique load. I suspect that was what was meant when it was said that the 58 was built for the police load. Other than the sights, it's identical to the Model 57.

I never had any luck working up a target load. Both the Police Load and my hunting loads gave target accuracy in both my 58 and 57, but my accuracy went sour when I reduced much under a thousand fps. I did shoot a season of PPC with Police Load equivalents, and it was a learning experience both for me and for the guys on each side of me.