The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old November 2, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
.270Wby

Stevens 87A, Bullet stuck in the tube

I just got a Stevens 87A from a family member. It was in her garage so it's not in the best shape but the insides are pretty nice so I'll see what I can do with it.
When I safety checked it I saw a bullet still in the gun but it's not in the chamber nor the tube. It's on the lifter and stuck there. So when I got it home I took the stok off and it still wouldn't fall out or get pushed out. I took the bolt off and still nothing. I'm sure it'd come out if I hit it hard but it's a live round. What should I do? It's not safe right now, it's hard to tell but it's looks like the lifter has dented the case and now restin on the rim. If the lifter was dropped on the bullet it would probably go off. So is there anyway to remove it easily? Thanks!

http://imgur.com/7K7ETxT
http://imgur.com/4Bx52Kt
Old November 2, 2013, 08:31 PM   #2
PetahW

I would first try to lever the cartridge forward a little bit at the same time trying to push the lifter back down with the inner magazine tube out of the gun, so maybe the damaged cartridge can be moved into the outer magazine tube for removal.

If that won't work, then the gun will have to be carefully disassambled.

Old November 2, 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
myfriendis410

You are the first person I've ever seen that has one of those rifles. I have the same gun but it's marked "Springfield". It would NOT shoot accurately until I took a chamfering tool to the muzzle crown and it now shoots 1" groups at 50 yards. Terrible trigger but lots of fun.
Old November 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
jimbob86

Quote:
I have the same gun but it's marked "Springfield".

My dad had one marked "Springfield" .... it had the reputation of the most accurate .22 rifle in the extended family ..... now it's in parts ....... can't bring myself to throw it away...
Old November 2, 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
.270Wby

I got it! I had to remove the lifter arm which took off the pressure. Then followed the advise and levered it up and out. The bullet looks like it had other problems, it's off center and bent. Thanks!

They were made by a few companies including Springfield, Stevens and Savage. Mine is actually stamped Jc Higgins and sold by sears. Apparently they are hard to get working right but I've also heard they are accurate shooters, hopefully mine is good.

Why is your gun in parts? They dont seem to complicated to put together. I definitely wouldn't throw it away.

Thanks again!
Old November 2, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Why is your gun in parts?
Long story, involving divorce, extended abscence (Military deployments), a flood, deaths, and an unsupervised younger brother .....

I actually had to buy the wreckage of Dad's gun at Mom's estate sale, along with the (broken) .410 single shot I killed my first pheasant with .....
Old November 2, 2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Problem solved.
Closed Thread