The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 4, 2010, 08:42 PM   #1
jwalker497

Cheap Reliable AK

Looking for a cheap but reliable AK and need soem reccomendation or things to know when looking. What brands to look for, what brands to stay away from, etc. Also, what is an acceptable price for Used and New AK? Thanks for the help!
Old November 5, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
essohbe

Cheapest is probably a Romanian. Get one you can inspect first. Watch for canted sightblock and gastube. Don't waste your time if you see that, get another rifle.

For about the same price you can get a Saiga but it won't be in the original configuration, it will be all stupid looking so they could import them from Russia. For the price of parts and your time, if you have the tools, you can restore it to how it was supposed to be made before imported.

Used Romanians are about $400 to $500 now, after fees, and brand new Russian Saigas are $350-$400 range. Depends on the calibers though too. A .308 or shotgun caliber will be more than 7.62, .223, or 5.45.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Mokumbear

Just sayin...

When you mention things like "canted sightblock and gastube", could you possibly explain the concept a little more in depth?
I honestly could not even identify these items, let alone be able to tell if they were "canted".

I am sure that there are those, like myself, who want to benefit from your
knowledge but are new to the AK and it's terminology.

Just sayin'...
Old November 5, 2010, 10:13 PM   #4
zombieslayer

For a cheap and reliable ak-type rifle a Saiga is hard to beat. Locally, I've seen used Maadi's for $300-400. I found a really nice, brand-new old Maadi for $500 and I love it. The Century WASR's are plentiful, and priced pretty cheaply, but the fit and finish can be on the rough side. I've fired many round through some owned by friends and they are reliable. Just not for me, I prefer the Saigas and Maadi's.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
essohbe

Quote:
When you mention things like "canted sightblock and gastube", could you possibly explain the concept a little more in depth?
- The whole thing that the front sight is attached to/part of, some are not pinned onto the barrels straight. Hold the rifle level, look down it as you would if you were firing it, and you'll be able to tell when looking through the rear sight if the front sight is canted/tilted to the right or left.

If it's canted at all, you can fix it yourself but sometimes they are canted real bad and the gastube (the part the piston rides in) is even tilted to the side. Don't even bother with the rifle if it looks like this.

I agree the Saiga is the way to go. Even if you don't want to do the conversion work, you can get a stock/pistol grip products that go on the rifle without doing the actual work to it.
Old November 6, 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Fat White Boy

Cheap and Reliable. I think that defines the AK47...
Old November 6, 2010, 08:21 PM   #7
TMackey

Gonna be hard to beat the Saiga.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:08 PM   #8
bamaranger

not sure

I'm not so sure a canted sight/gas block is that uncommon, or all that much bad news.

My cheapie (and I mean it. MISR 90, the world's most hated AK) has a degree of same, and it is fine for all the uses I find for an AK. Had to drift the snot out of the front sight to get the group centered for zero, but it shoots and groups fine, just looks a bit odd. And I've seen PLENTY look the same way.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:17 PM   #9
abelacres

I picked up a used Maadi for around $300 a while back. Shoots great, no problems. A buddy has a Sagia and loves it. Shoots great, no problems.
Here's some pics of mine before and after an ATI stock upgrade.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427700