The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 10, 2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Strange Error with Advanced Search and IE8

Against my better judgment, I downloaded IE8 and installed it several days ago. Just today, when I try to use the Advanced Search feature on TFL, I get the "WIndows cannot find connection -> Diagnose Connection" window every time.

When I click on "Diagnose Connection" it immediately loads the screen telling me I can only search every 5 seconds and Windows says "No problem with connection." Every time I hit "Search", the whole process repeats.

Any suggestions?

Another weird one... I went to edit my reply and got the edit window and was actually typing new information in when all of a sudden I got the "This link appears to be broken" window. Obviously, it seems to be working OK now.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; July 10, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old July 12, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

Just tried in ie8. Works for me. My ie8 security zone setting for the internet at large (including tfl) is medium-high.

Is the computer/browser in question accessing the internet through a wireless connection? If so, perhaps wireless is cutting out?

Does firefox, opera, or chrome have the same problem?

There's always the malware possibility.
malwarebytes
hijackthis

Other than that, all I can suggest is grabbing wireshark and trying to find out if IE8 is sending and receiving the right http data, but a tutorial on wireshark won't fit in the margin here.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old July 12, 2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have also gotten an intermittent error when searching the forum recently. Using Mac OS 10.5, Safari and Firefox.

I don't recall the exact message, some sort of server error, or non response or something.

I get it exactly if I see it again.
Old July 13, 2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the error in Safari:

and Firefox:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Safari.jpg (116.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Firefox.jpg (125.3 KB, 128 views)
Old July 13, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Did you get those errors when using the advanced search page, or just the normal search pop-up box? And approximately how often does this happen?

I tried doing a few dozen searches just now (from the search pop-up box, not the advanced search page), and I couldn't reproduce the error (firefox 3.5). There's got to be some other factor.

Also (peetza) it looks like both your firefox and safari versions aren't the latest. I'm sure that has nothing to do with it, just mentioning it because new browser versions often fix security problems...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old July 13, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Both at the time, although trying it just now they both work.... intermittent problem apparently. Previously, the pop-up search would give me an error while the advanced search worked....
Old July 13, 2009, 12:39 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Are either of you using proxies? Some antiviruses and firewalls do http proxying as well. There seem to be a lot of references on the web to similar problems involving proxies.
Old July 13, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Not I.

My configuration hasn't changed in months and the problem is not more than a few days old.
Old July 13, 2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Additional info:

If I put a "nonsense" search term like "gvajksdfgkhjsda" in the search box, I get and error every time. If I use real words, it's only sometimes.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:21 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

No proxies here, though it is on a wireless connection so it was possible the wireless was cutting out; but at the same time I was having TFL trouble I was still connecting OK to other web sites.

Typically when the wireless cuts out, it is a several minute thing and the Internet doesn't work at all. This would had to have been really brief 30-60 second outages in order to be the wireless. When I get back to the laptop, I'll try Advanced Search again and see if the problem repeats.
Old July 13, 2009, 09:57 PM   #11
tyme
Staff

aha.. peetza gets a cookie, or pizza, or something. Searching for nonexistent words is what reproduced it for me.

BR: Is your IE8 symptom fixed?

There were two lines at the top that I added in when we switched to the sphinx search engine, to show the number of hits for each word in the search string. (I admit it wasn't kosher to output stuff before the html.) Sadly, it appears that vbulletin doesn't enable zlib compression until after those two lines are printed. The http headers tell the browser that the response is compressed, but those two lines weren't, so it threw a fit. They might not have been getting counted in the content-length header, either.

What I don't know is why it was working before. There must have been some behavior change in a recent version of php or lighttpd. It might have been output buffering. Maybe php used to wait until the output buffer was full before it checked whether to compress, and maybe now it compresses on each and every write to the buffer. Seems inefficient, but I have no idea, just guessing.
Old July 14, 2009, 09:50 PM   #12
OuTcAsT

Quote:
Sadly, it appears that vbulletin doesn't enable zlib compression until after those two lines are printed. The http headers tell the browser that the response is compressed, but those two lines weren't, so it threw a fit. They might not have been getting counted in the content-length header, either.

What I don't know is why it was working before. There must have been some behavior change in a recent version of php or lighttpd. It might have been output buffering. Maybe php used to wait until the output buffer was full before it checked whether to compress, and maybe now it compresses on each and every write to the buffer. Seems inefficient, but I have no idea, just guessing.
Could we get that in English McGee ?

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old July 15, 2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Could we get that in English McGee ?
It was broken, now it's not...
Old July 24, 2009, 06:47 PM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

Ran Advanced Search from a different wireless network with the same laptop and no issues. So it was either network related or it is fixed now.