The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2007, 07:17 PM   #1
Daniel BOON

mdl 70 trigger./calling all experts.

I got a nice deal on a winchester mdl 70/'06. nothing has been tampered with. but, the trigger sucks. this isn't a wal mart mdl 70 btw. but i'm not sure of the date of manufacture. anyhow, can the factory trigger be trimmed to a nice crisp touch, or will I have to get a after market trigger assembly?
this is off the beaten path, but there is justice, even if it is slow. when my grand daughter was 6/7/8 she was molested by my daughter's bf. so daughter pressed charges. its a long story. anyhow, he was just caught again and is on his way Walla Walla State. I have no doubt he'll get a good education from bubba; did I mention he's a sissy momma's boy?
Old April 24, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

You can get it down to around 3 lbs safely and lower if you know what you are doing. AS far as creep goes, you will need to do some judicious stoning to get that taken care. Not the job for the average bear. Nor is replacing it with an aftermarket trigger.
Old April 24, 2007, 08:24 PM   #3
williamd

I have reworked M70 triggers as many are not so hot. But, I'd take it to a smith unless you have done some of this sort of work ..... or want to learn.
I have also replaced M70 triggers and it is not any more work, in my opinion.

Trigger work is touchy stuff (no pun intended). Some light stoning will not do anything bad, but triggers can be 'adjusted/stoned' until they fire upon bolt closure or upon safety snap off or upon a jarring. I have seen all over the past 50! Exciting at the least.
Old April 24, 2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Dave Haven

Jewell makes a very nice trigger for the Model 70. My apologies to Harry, it can be [i]safely[/] adjusted as low as 1.5 OUNCES or as high as 4 pounds. It comes from the factory set at 1 pound. Midway has them on sale this month for $209.99.
I have one on my Model 70. I highly recommend it.
Old April 24, 2007, 11:47 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The trigger on an M70 is adjustable for everything. Those wee screws on the trigger group. One is for the pull, the other for travel as I recall.
Old April 25, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

They can be adjusted for length of overtravel and weight of pull. To take away the creep, they will have to be stoned. it is a very simple job if you have the right tools and knowledge. Like what was mentioned, you can very easily adjust them to low so that the gun fires on closing the bolt which is something most wanna be tinkers have no knowledge about.

As far as replacement triggers go, I have seen some that require stock inletting and some need other work to take care, without knowing what the original poster knows about and tools he has, I was suggest that he takes it to a smith or get instruction on how to do it. I don't give that out anymore myself.
Old April 25, 2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Daniel BOON

thank you guys

the other day I ran the serial numbers thru the 'puter and the date of man. was 1972; this rifle is absolutely cherry. would this rifle have control feed? or push feed? or does it matter? thanks again.
Old April 25, 2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Dave Haven

Push feed.
Old April 28, 2007, 02:27 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

1972 Model 70

Push feed. It doesn't matter, as long as you cycle the bolt properly. Controlled round feed has some value on a dangerous game rifle, but only if the action is worked improperly, or there is a problem with the ammo.

I have a 1970s vintage M70 Varmint in .22-250. Factory trigger is fully adjustable. Remove the action from the stock, and you will see the adjustment screws and lock nuts. MY advice is "do not stone anything".

I set my trigger once, carefully tightened the lock nuts, and in over 20 years have had exactly ZERO trouble with it. If you can't get the pull you want from the factory adjustments, it needs to go to a competent gunsmith.

Avoid the temptation to set the trigger too light. You can create a dangerous situation just with the adjustments.

You can go with an aftermarket trigger if you want, but unless the factory trigger is junk (very unlikely) I wouldn't bother spending the money. And, if you do, have a good gunsmith put it in. That will save you a lot of frustration.

I would recommend a trigger pull scale, and not going below 3lbs pull for a .30-06. A crisp, clean trigger pull is more important than the weight of the pull. On a deer hunting rifle, 3lbs is about as light as you should go, considering the fact that you will be shooting the gun under field conditions (cold, wet stiff fingers, gloves, etc.), and while an ultra light pull is fine off the bench in warm weather, it is the last thing you want in the winter woods.

Hope this helps.
Old April 28, 2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Abstract

The Mod 70 trigger, while easily adjusted, is not "fully adjustable," in that there's no creep or "take-up" adjustment.

Anybody with half a brain can eyeball the mechanism and see how loosening one of the nuts (and the locknut behind it) relieves spring pressure, lowering the pull. The screw through the center of the spring adjusts overtravel. It's a really simple trigger. You just might try adjusting it and forgetting about stoning, taking to smith, replacing with aftermarket, etc., etc.
Old April 28, 2007, 08:24 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Maybe I was lucky,

Mine didn't have any problem with creep. But I agree, I should not have said "fully" adjustable. Sorry, my bad.
Old May 10, 2007, 05:30 PM   #12
essexcounty

You can adjust the trigger and usually be quite happy with it. If not Timney can bee your friend...........Essex