The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 13, 2011, 02:20 PM   #1
dajowi

Correcting Errors on ATF forms

Has anyone here ever submitted an ATF form only to have it kicked back because of errors which need to be corrected? Do they care if you use "white out"?
Old February 13, 2011, 02:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those forms are not that complex; I would just get new forms and redo them, not use whiteout or stick-on tape.

Jim
Old February 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
tgreening

I would second Jims advice but if there is some reason using new forms is problematic, I would not use whiteout, tape, or marker to black it out. Draw 1 single black line through the incorrect info, write in the correct info above, below, or beside it (use judgment here) and then initial each and every change. It's worked on every government form I've ever used it on, dating back 30 yrs or so.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:21 AM   #4
macscott

Submitting new forms is sometimes (often?) not an option. In Dajowi's case, the returned forms were the original that were submitted to NFA and contained the buyer's (me) photos and, more importantly, the chief LEO's info and signature. Since we had to modify the original forms, it was Dajowi's good call to line-out the old info, initial it and resubmit with updated info.

Some valuable info was learned here, which is, I'm sure, obvious to those more experienced in such matters. First, the firearm descriptions have to match exactly between both Form 4s on a person-to-person transfer. Any deviance will get it bounced back.

Second, NFA discovered a discrepancy that neither the seller, the buyer nor the gun's original seller had noticed. The original Form 4 on a suppressor, completed by an SOT over a dozen years ago, had an "i" in place of a "1," which naturally caused some confusion to the examiner. She asked that a photo of the suppressor's S/N be sent to her with the amended Form 4 info, which was done.

Both Dajowi and I seem to agree that this was not a BS-kinda deal. The examiner actually caught a few discrepancies and/inaccuracies and sought to have them corrected. Better now than at some time in the future when, if numbers don't match up, it might prove ugly in the field. Or the cell.

....Mac
Old February 19, 2011, 08:08 PM   #5
vc1911

I had 16" vector53 Form1d and cut to 8": in the barrel length and overall length I had put "less than16inches" and "less that 26inches"...
when they send it back i called them, only had to scratch it out and then initial it and then return to nfa branch. no problem.