The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Itkus

1894 .357 Mag reload query

I'm a newbie (well, old newbie since I haven't reloaded or fired much of anything in over 25 years - but am getting back into it) with a question ...

I have a new Marlin 1894cb in .357 Mag and a lot of old brass, powder and primers for my old Ruger Blackhawk (same caliber).

The ammo components are all in good condition, but I want to use up the old IMR 4227 powder I have on hand.

I purchased 500, 130g RNFPBB .38 cast bullets from OMA on Vancouver Island, so am curious as to an IMR reload. Hodgson's reload data site doesn't list this 130g, or equivalent, bullet.

Or should I just chuck the old IMR 4227 and use something else?

I am only shooting target out to 100 yards for the time being.
Old November 28, 2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Sharpeees

reloading 357

Well i looked it up. The Lyman reloading bible say's 125grain hp
IMR4227 15.6grains (starting sugg) at 31,200 pressures cup @1232feet per sec. Find out what pressure your rifle can handle, don't blow it up, or yourself! I think your pretty safe with a marlin. If you don't like your powder sprinkle it on your grass as a fertilizer it does wonders don't just throw it away. It's a great read that is.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:18 PM   #3
arcticap

Quote:
* I don't want a .50 cal.
* I lied. I want a .50 cal. I want one so bad I'd consider trading in my left testicle for it. Possibly the right as well. But that's not going to happen for the next reason.
* I have two kids and a wife. None of them have jobs. Therefor cash is very, very limited. Say, less than $500 (and that's pushing it).
* I want something I can reload the ammunition on if I do desire. So no funky "hard to find" ammo usin' thing.
If you really want to shoot a .50 caliber rifle or larger then a muzzle loader is the most affordable way to do that.
And the traditional side lock rifles with medium (1 in 48") or slow twist rifling (1 in 60" or more) are designed for shooting patched round balls and/or lead conicals which are the most economical ammo.
One a scale of 1 to 100, the muzzle loading fun factor rates about 110.
Even the least expensive muzzle loaders are a ton of fun and shooting them will make you feel like being a kid again. It's similar to firing an old time cannon with loads that are tailored to your own personal preference right at the shooting range. It can be loaded with lots of recoil or none at all. My son started loading & shooting a .50 when he was about 9 years old. Using only 30 -40 grains of powder to make large .50 caliber holes in a target out to 50 yards is the cat's meow for any kid. And that's how many folks learn a lot about guns & ballistics. At least that's how my kid did along with shooting .22's.
Try it, you'll like it!
Here's several websites to check out some models and prices and to get the most bang for your buck.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...49%46%4C%45%53

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20712

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/Muzzleloaders.html

Look under rifles in the "select item category" drop down window located on the upper left of the page:

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/

Last edited by arcticap; December 4, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Deadguy

Sheela200, get yourself a Mosin Nagant 91/30. You can still get them for around $100 in many places, you can reload ammo for them, military surplus ammo is still inexapensive (7.62x54r caliber), they are plenty powerful enough (about the same a 7.62 NATO), and accurate too. Not only that, but they are a genuine military battle rifle. You won't regret it.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:53 PM   #5
Deadguy

Or, you can go the muzzleloader route as suggested above. Cabela's has this one on sale for $89. Loads of fun.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...147&hasJS=true