The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2014, 03:05 PM   #1
hoopdawg

TC Patriot

I recently acquired a TC Patriot. I've read a fair amount about it so far, but am a little discouraged with it only being considered a target pistol. Does anyone have any experience, experimenting with pyrodex pellets, shooting up to 40-50 grains of powder, or using sabot slugs in one, and hunting deer.
I realize these are all things I should have researched before buying this gun, but it was cheap enough and I assumed a lot!
Thanks in advance for your information
Old November 20, 2014, 04:04 PM   #2
BerdanSS

Well, as far as the pellets go... I wouldn't even think about it since its not an in-line ignition. Does the pistol have the rifling twist rate on the barrel? Lots of people deer hunt with single shot muzzle loader pistols. Depending on your state laws it may not be legal, due to the caliber or some other variabl.
Old November 20, 2014, 05:11 PM   #3
DoubleDeuce 1

I own and shoot two TC Patriots. The factory recommends loads far less than you are thinking about using. Anything more than 25-30 grains and you are courting a possible cracked stock. The pistol has an unfair reputation for cracked stocks. I know several Patriot shooters, myself included that have never had any cracked or broken stocks, or any complaint about the pistol at all.

The pistol is a target gun. I shoot 18-24 gr FFFG blackpowder only with a patched round ball, .440 cal. It is a tack driver if I do my part.

You reach a point of diminishing returns with more powder in the barrel. The charge is still burning after the ball has already left the barrel. So, it is a waste of powder.

If I recall correctly, the rate of twist in the barrel is 1" in 22".

I did meet a guy who blew up a Patriot clone. He wanted to see how much it would take. He stretched the pistol beyond it's capacity. Bad mistake... The stock let go, the barrel let go and so did every other piece of furniture on the gun, along with a thumb. He spent a lot of time in surgery being reconstructed.

A lot of damaged Patriot stocks are caused by mis-use by the owners. They either over tighten the lock bolt, cracking the stock, or let the heel end of the stock rest on a hard surface during the loading process. This causes the stock to crack and break also. And there are those who over charge the pistol too many times. You might get away with an over charge once or twice, but what did the previous owner do, and how many times...

I would strongly advise to just use the pistol for what it was intended for. Round ball and charges under 30 grains.
Old November 20, 2014, 07:39 PM   #4
kwhi43

If you want to sell it cheap, let me know. I would buy it. Does yours have the
brass cap on the end of the stock? I had two of them and they are accurate
enough for the most serious competition. The load that everybody around here
Uses is a .451 round ball and .017 thick patching with 20 grains black powder.
It will shoot the "10" ring out on a NRA 25 yd pistol target at 25 yds.
Old November 20, 2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Pahoo

These littls guys, have always touched my heart.

Quote:
but am a little discouraged with it only being considered a target pistol.
Yes !!! They really are more suited to punching paper than trying to punch a deer. You obviously have the .45. I have taken mine out for hunting squirrels and they are lots of fun to shoot. If you wanted to take deer, then you shoot pellets, I'd go to an inline, .50. I have two that I use for deer hunting ....

If it suits you, put it up for sale on here as there are many members who would be interested. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 21, 2014, 08:29 AM   #6
hoopdawg

Thanks for all the insight, guys.
Old November 22, 2014, 02:13 PM   #7
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The load that everybody around here
Uses is a .451 round ball and .017 thick patching with 20 grains black powder.
It will shoot the "10" ring out on a NRA 25 yd pistol target at 25 yds.
The B-16 (slow fire) or the B-8 (rapid/timed fire) target?

From sandbags, it'll shoot the "X" out of the X-ring on the B-8 target.

I started using .451 balls in my Patriot years ago. With .440 and .445 balls, it blows patches unless you put a wad between the powder and patched ball or use .020 duck for patching.
Unfortunately, you will not load this combo using the field ram rod on the pistol, you will definitely need a short starter and maybe a small mallet with you. The field ramrod is mostly just decoration on my pistol anyway.