The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 13, 2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Jimtl

New FL CCW soon (hopefully)

I took my class today! On the way home I stopped to get a new "passport" photo (man, do I look P.O.'d in that picture -- not to mention OLD). Tomorrow I'm planning to have my fingerprints completed -- turns out, they do it digitally so the wait won't be as long (hopefully). ..AND I plan to get it in the mail tomorrow...

Anyway, this forum has been a very influencial in my decision to get my CCW. Thanks all!

Now what gun to carry ...
Old July 15, 2008, 11:25 AM   #2
chris in va

Congratulations! It's a big step for sure. Try to rent as many guns as you can before buying.

My non-res FL permit took about 6-7 weeks, partly because I didn't fill out the app correctly and they had to send it back. I suspect yours will take much less time.
Old July 15, 2008, 06:50 PM   #3
Jimtl

Thanks! Good advise ... I currently own an older 642, a Glock 35 and a 5" 686. Right now I'm leaning towards something more powerful than my S&W 642, but small ... so I've been reading reviews and comparing ... the Wather PPS looks interesting ... I used to own a Glock 27 and liked it ... I don't know, there's time. And half the fun is looking and learning.

By the way ... the local sheriff's dept has digital fingerprinting ... supposedly speeds it up -- as long as I didn't mess up the application. You still have to jump through hoops ... they just make it a little easier
Old September 17, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Jimtl

Just got my permit today. Took a little over 2 months ... felt much longer. Anyway ... I'm psyched.
Old September 18, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
jdavidboyd

Mine took a little over 10 weeks. I called them last Monday for a status update, and they told me that it was received on July 7th. But that it wasn't being processed yet.

Big surprise when it showed up in the mail last Thursday, 3 days after they told me it wasn't being processed yet.

So now, I'm good to go!
Old September 24, 2008, 07:34 AM   #6
threegun

Mine expired on the 16th of Sept. I had sent in my renewal the end of July. When I called they said that they had processed my payment (isn't that nice) on August 15 but that they still had not processed my renewal. The lady said two more weeks.....ouch. They are way behind due to a 50 percent increase in concealed permit applications. I asked her if, since my payment had been accepted and I had done nothing to prohibit me from getting renewed, if I could continue to carry until the new permit arrived. After all its not my fault they are behind right. She said it would be illegal of course. Thankfully it came last night a week sooner than I was told.
Old September 24, 2008, 09:10 AM   #7
GPossenti

I took the class on the first weekend of September. I checked my checking account, but the check hasn't been processed yet.
Old September 24, 2008, 03:27 PM   #8
DWARREN123

The one that fits and feels good to you in a large enough caliber that you can shoot accurately. Handle as many as possible and shoot them if a rental range is near.
Old November 24, 2008, 08:55 AM   #9
GPossenti

I finally received my FL license on Friday, 75 days after my application hit the mail.