The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1
smokehouse4444

Glock 29 and Ruger SP101

I am becoming more and more intrigued by the 10mm. I have talked to several people who shoot the Glock 20? who say they can't imagine shooting the 10 in such a small platform as the 29. I haven't seen one at the range to test fire, but I keep wondering if the recoil of a full load 10mm in the 29 is anymore than a powerful 357 load in a 2" Ruger SP101. Anyone out there have experience with both and wouldn't mind sharing their experience?
Old September 9, 2012, 01:22 AM   #2
NWPilgrim

The 10mm loses a lot of velocity in the shorter barrel. The G29 is nearly the size of the .40 G23. Make sure the performance difference is significant enough for your purposes before going with harder to find and costlier cartridge.

The 10mm makes sense in the full size G20 but to my thinking does not in the short bbl.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:50 AM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
The 10mm loses a lot of velocity in the shorter barrel
Well, considering that the G20 barrel is only 4.6 inches compared to the G29 barrel at 3.78 we are looking at a difference of less than an inch.

Then, if we consult BBTI for 10mm auto:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
we see that comparing an inch difference (5" at 1399 fps versus 4" at 1338 fps in a 180 grain Buffalo Bore load) that this inch difference is about 60 fps.

I realize that this is roughly gauging the difference via a little ballparking; however, having a chronograph along with having owned the G20 and a G29 and currently shooting a Delta Elite, which by chance I shot yesterday with this same Buffalo Bore load, I can tell you that you don't lose altogether that much with the G29.

And here is someone who actually videoed the differences including different aftermarket barrels and claims a basic 70 - 80 fps difference between the G20 and G29:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkE_...feature=relmfu

I don't have a 2" .357 mag at the moment, but have had several in the past. I shot my G29 for a bit over 7 years with "full house" loads. I personally would say that the G29 is easier to shoot than the 2" .357s.

YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old September 9, 2012, 01:06 PM   #4
SatCong

Most days, I carry the model 29 Glock. I shoot both commercially loaded defense ammo and my own fairly stout hand loads. It is easier recoiling than, say, my K frame, S&W model 65 using 357 magnums.
I attribute this, mainly, to the fact that the Wolff dual captive recoil springs absorb some of the kick, and the bore axis is relatively low above the grip.
Ammo will be expensive and relatively hard to find unless you commit to reloading same.

Mike
Old September 13, 2012, 11:36 PM   #5
chris in va

I had an SP 101 for a few months. Never could shoot 357's accurately and the five rounds didn't make sense.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Patrice

Hhmmm....I haven't found the recoil to be excessive in a G-29 with factory loads. [I've never been super-infatuated with the so-called "nuclear loads."] It does have a significantly shorter barrel relative to a G-20, but relative to a comparably-sized Glock in .40s&w (i.e., comparable to the size of a G-29)....well, all things are relative even when the # of variables are small. I've not had the opportunity to shoot the sp-101, but I've found that a s&w j-frame is more difficult for me to shoot than a G-29,and is much less accurate at comparable distances.--Patrice
Old September 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Sevens

My EDC is a G29 and I've got somewhere around 3,500 rounds of full-spec 10mm through it.

I've shot an array of small frame .357 Magnum revolvers and less-than-3-inch-barrel .357 Magnum revolvers to state for certain that I'd much, MUCH rather do excessive shooting with 10mm in the Glock 29.

Recoil is very subjective, but I think this one is clear enough to call, at least from my point of view.