The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2000, 08:40 PM   #1
BadShot

While scrounging around at the range I picked up a bunch of 9mm casings that look to be once-fired. They are marked as S&B, with the primer being painted red. I deprimed a few of them and they left some metal in the primer pocket and my 550B hung up and I pushed the lever back up. Are these okay or should I just toss them?

Thanks
Old December 14, 2000, 09:04 PM   #2
RiverRider

Ya know what, Badshot? Those S&B cases may well be fine for reloading, but maybe they aren't, and someone who knows what you have experienced with them could address their quality...

But, for my money (and safety), only new cases will do. That way I know where they came from and everything about them. Not to say I don't reuse brass, I DO (when it's mine!). But, the savings of using salvaged brass is dubious, at best...at least for me.

Take all that salvaged brass and toss it, and you'll notice a feeling of well-being wash over you.
Old December 14, 2000, 09:48 PM   #3
johnwill

I suspect those are crimped primers from your description. If so, you have to form or swage them before you can reload them. Since 9mm brass is so plentiful, I doubt it makes sense to spend the time preparing these. FWIW, there is nothing wrong with S&B brass that I'm aware of, I reload it in .45ACP with no problems, but I didn't buy the military ammo to generate my "once fired brass".