The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1
boxjeff

Anyone from PA here that knows about CCW in PA?

I'm moving to PA and was told that there is a 90 day wait period for a CCW, But, the wait period can be circumvented by registering to vote?

Is this true?
Old January 16, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
rwilson452

Quote:
I'm moving to PA and was told that there is a 90 day wait period for a CCW, But, the wait period can be circumvented by registering to vote?

Is this true?

It ain't necessarily true.

Generally speaking, a License to carry a firearm is issued by the sheriff of the county of residents. Each sheriff is a bit different. Best bet is to get a PA driver's license. Altho the law says 90 days some sheriffs don't pay attention.

In case you didn't catch it, in PA it's called a license to carry a firearm (LTCF).

The web site with the best info on PA gun laws is pafoa.org. If you go there and ask in the particular county forum your moving to you will get lots of good information.

In my county, Tioga, I have seen people go from getting their drivers license to the sheriff's office and walk out with their LTCF 15 min. later. A LTCF costs $20. If your moving to Philly your going to have a long wait.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
boxjeff

Thanks!

I'm moving to Doylestown PA, think that's in Bucks.
Old January 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
Don P

This site may answer some of your questions,
http://www.handgunlaw.us/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not mentioned so far is that PA is also an open carry state. Open carry is legal withOUT a license ... except within Philadelphia city limits. However, carry in a motor vehicle is NOT legal without a license, so engaging in open carry when you'll be out and about with the family station wagon involves some juggling.

Also, unlicensed open carry is suspended when the state is in an official (declared) state of emergency -- and I believe PA is still technically in a state of emergency dating back to the storms last fall -- unless the emergency declaration has finally expired.

So you have some options, but by far the best approach is to just submit the application and get the LTCF.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:07 PM   #6
ChuckS

boxjeff:
Quote:

Is this true?
Not true. No wait period (except for resident alien) Once you've established residency and have your PA drivers license (or ID card) you can apply.

The law allows 45 days to process your license. It is debatable if that is calendar or business days.

But you're in luck, I did a quick search on PAFOA.org and Bucks County seems to process quickly, sometimes in as little as 15-20 minutes.

More info on carry statutes here

Bucks County LTCF info here

Good luck on your move, and welcome.
Old January 16, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
boxjeff

Thanks all!
Old January 20, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Deutscher

An interesting thing about LTCF applications in PA is the requirements are set by county sheriffs' offices and are not uniform from county to county. Regarding the OP's "voter registration comment," in Northampton County a second proof of county-residence in addition to a PA driver's license is necessary. One acceptable proof is a Northampton County voter registration card.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:06 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutscher
An interesting thing about LTCF applications in PA is the requirements are set by county sheriffs' offices and are not uniform from county to county...
The application is uniform throuighout the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police….
Sometimes the investigation is not uniform from county to county, although it should be according to the following and Section 6111:
Quote:
(d) Sheriff to conduct investigation.--The sheriff to whom the application is made shall:
(1) investigate the applicant's record of criminal conviction;
(2) investigate whether or not the applicant is under indictment for or has ever been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year;
(3) investigate whether the applicant's character and reputation are such that the applicant will not be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety;
(4) investigate whether the applicant would be precluded from receiving a license under subsection (e)(1) or section 6105(h) (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms); and
(5) conduct a criminal background, juvenile delinquency and mental health check following the procedures set forth in section 6111 (relating to sale or transfer of firearms), receive a unique approval number for that inquiry and record the date and number on the application.
Section 6111 requires the use of the Pennsylvania Instant Check System, which in turn uses the national instant check system.

And (at least) one county requires a sign-off (card) from your local LEO and won't process your application until it's received, which conflicts with at least uniformity of application, and probably investigation too, not to mention the fees section since the local LEO's often charge for their investigation.

As for two forms of ID being required in Northampton county...here are the Section 6111 requirements, and it seems a combination of ID's is allowed:
Quote:
(2) Inspected photoidentification of the potential purchaser or transferee, including, but not limited to, a driver's license, official Pennsylvania photoidentification card or official government photoidentification card. In the case of a potential buyer or transferee who is a member of a recognized religious sect or community whose tenets forbid or discourage the taking of photographs of members of that sect or community, a seller shall accept a valid-without-photo driver's license or a combination of documents, as prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police, containing the applicant's name, address, date of birth and the signature of the applicant.
But why do they require a second proof of county residence, it's a license that's valid throughout the state?

So Deutscher is correct that the "requirements" are still not uniform from county to county.
Old January 22, 2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Deutscher

Chuck,
Good question re second proof of residence in Northampton County.
4. The following items MUST accompany the application: A. PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION: (drivers license or a photo identification card,
issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles (PENNDOT).
B. PROOF OF RESIDENCY: (voter’s registration card, current-year paid per capita tax receipt OR earned income tax form from your local municipality).
ABSOLUTELY NO OTHER FORMS OF PROOF ARE ACCEPTED
What is particularly funny is that a phone call to the county voters' registration office gets you a voter's registration card in the mail, which you can then carry with your drivers license to the sheriff's office. Kinda redundant, huh?
Old January 22, 2012, 09:33 AM   #11
AK103K

I lived in Bucks county just north of Doylestown for about 35 years. Got my first permit back in the early 80's when they were still a yearly thing. Back then, they did everything they could to discourage you from applying, and usually had the grumpiest, most miserable deputy on the counter to deal (read that "argue") with. It got a little better after the shall issue thing.

Plan on them taking all 45 days to get the permit to you, both initially and for the renewal. Make sure you allow that time when you do renew, or youll be without the permit until the new one comes in. I think the shortest they ever got mine back to me after reapplying was a month, and most were usually in the last week of the 45 day limit.

These days, I live in Snyder county out in central PA, and its totally different. When I applied for my permit here, it wasnt considered a "renewal", since I was new to the county, and I still had it in less than a week. Dealing with the deputies and the sheriff himself (he actually works the counter too), was a pleasure. They actually have night hours two days a week so working people can have access to the office.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
kadar

AK103K, Bucks is actually one of the fastest in the state. It takes longer to find a parking space, go through security and get to the office than it does to fill out the app, have the background checked and have the LTCF in hand. 2 years ago, I probably spent about 15 minutes in the office.
Old January 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #13
AK103K

Things must have changed considerably since I last got mine there, which would have been 2003. You still had to wait for them to send them out, and they still took pretty much the full 45 days to get it out to you.