The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Robert37803

Do I need to resize?

I have started to reload for my NRA high power competition rifle with a .223 Wylde chamber. I am using pulled mixed LC brass, Sierra 69g match king bullets, and 23.5g of Varget. I measured a fired case in a wilson case gauge and it does not need to be resized. Should I resize the cases anyway, or am I safe to continue loading this brass for this rifle?
Old January 27, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
CrustyFN

If it's a fired case then yes it needs to be sized. It might fit the case gauge but that doesn't mean it has the neck tension it needs to hold the bullet.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
kraigwy

Try it and see.

When I was shooting for the Guard we Mexican Matched a lot of M118, replacing the pulled 174s with 168 SMKs. We never had to resize the brass.

Having said that on my 5.56 Mann Accuracy device I have to re-size new unfired brass with a SB die to get it to chamber. (That gun is the exception though).
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 27, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Jimro

The case Wilson gauge measures to the neck, it isn't the best in terms of body taper. Try chambering one and see. I had a buddy years ago that was convinced you could neck size his 223 match loads, and he bruised his hand at the next match slamming the forward assist to get those rounds to chamber.

EDIT: You won't need to size, as the brass has not been fired.

Jimro

Last edited by Jimro; January 27, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
TXGunNut

It's possible you won't need to but I think I would, esp if brass has been handled much or shipped since the bullets were pulled.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Robert37803

I have loaded and fired this brass in my White Oak 223 wylde upper. I did not have to size and prime the brass as it was pulled LC mixed brass.
Old January 27, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Jimro

Once it is fire, you will want to resize, although it would be a good experiment to do a batch of neck sized vs. full length or bump sized to check reliability.

Jimro
Old January 27, 2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Robert37803

I have a full the redding competition sizing, seating, and crimp die installed on my press. I am going to run a batch with a little resizing as possible. would like to not work the brass much, just to size the neck. What do you think?
Old January 28, 2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Bart B.

I'd full length size your fired cases in a bushing die such as those made by RCBS and Redding. Set the fired case shoulders back no more than 2 thousandths and use a bushing that's about 2 thousandths smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter.

This is how the winners and record setters in high power competition have been doing that since the 1950's. So has Sierra Bullets testing their stuff for accuracy for the same length of time. Benchresters recently switched over from neck only to full length sizing with bushing dies for the same reasons; better accuracy because case necks on sized cases are better centered on the shoulders.

Rimless bottleneck rounds center perfectly up front in the chamber regardless of how much smaller their body and neck diameters are compared to the chamber. It's their shoulder in the chamber shoulder that centers them when they're fired. They do not lay in the bottom of the chamber which is a common myth among rifle shooters.
Old January 28, 2013, 12:14 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
I have a full the redding competition sizing, seating, and crimp die installed on my press. I am going to run a batch with a little resizing as possible. would like to not work the brass much, just to size the neck. What do you think?
Shooting it in an AR good luck. I would full length resize.