The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 09:35 PM   #1
dnsharpshooter

hey guys, been a while, sweet pawn shop find

Hey guys, havent posted here in a while, bought a car and been busy with it lately. Anyway my dad has always wanted some guns of his own, but he's never had the money for it. He recently inherited some money and decided he would put some aside to start his firearm collection. We went to a gun show a couple weeks ago, and he picked up a couple nice pieces. The first was a gun he's wanted ever since I can remember, a 1911. The second was one that I had my eye on, but also he was equally as interested in, a Heritage .22 revolver. Next on his list was a .357 mag revolver. He had settled on a taurus model 65 (finish reading the post, no taurus bashing!). he found a couple gun stores locally that showed them in stock. We went to each store today, and the result was the same "oh thats our warehouse, we have to order it in". at the second gun store, we found a really clean older taurus model (i think) 689, similar to a smith and wesson 586. we had the deal all put together, $400 OTD. AS my dad was filling out the papers, the manager came out and said "oh, we cant sell that one, it got a bid online". so we walked out, empty handed and pi$$ed off. there were a couple other gun stores nearby, so we headed for them. along the way, my dad spotted a small pawn shop with a sign that said "GUNS", so he told me to pull in there and check it out. They had a VERY small selection of handguns, and even smaller selection of revolvers. They had mostly single action cowboy guns, and we were just about to walk away, when i spotted the glint of the stainless steel hammer of a ruger service-six. I told the pawn guy to pull it out, and OMG this thing is in mint condition. bluing is excellent, lockup is tight, grips were excellent. price tag was $439 before tax. I asked if he could do any better. he took the gun and walked to the back, then came back a minute later and told us "$400 cash OTD, and ill throw in a case and a holster"

Old November 17, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2
skidder

Great find! The Taurus doesn't hold a candle that Service Six.
I'm glad things turned out the way they did, you have 10 times the revolver in that Service Six. You won't regret it.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 17, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
SPEMack618

Great find!

Years from now, that Service Six will still be throwing lead downrange.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:54 PM   #4
357 Python

The Service Six is the fixed sight version of the Security Six, a great gun in its own right. Many years ago a passed on a Security Six. I have regretted it ever since. You have found a top notch gun.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:15 AM   #5
warnerwh

Getting that Ruger was worth all that you two went through. It's a very good gun. Much better than a Taurus for the same kind of money. Hope you enjoy it.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Vividia

Gratz on an excellent find!

I have a "Two hundred years" marked Security Six made in 1976. Great gun - don't think i will ever part with it.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
tekarra

Great find. That Service Six will be ticking along long after you are gone. The Ruger Sixes are great revolvers.
Old November 18, 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
arizona98tj

Great score on the Service Six. Way to go!

IMO, anything in Ruger's "Six" family provides a solid platform for a late night meet and greet. Add to it an extra helping of Hornady HP/XTP and a 90 lumen tactical light and you have all the makings for a surprise party. RSVP is preferred.

Old November 18, 2012, 08:59 PM   #9
38superhero

Nice...
Old November 18, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
dnsharpshooter

took it out and laid some lead downrange today. what a nice shooting gun! only complaint is the grips are too skinny for our hands, under recoil, and trigger guard smacked my finger pretty good. other than that, its excellent
Old November 18, 2012, 10:25 PM   #11
skidder

Quote:
only complaint is the grips are too skinny for our hands
Here ya go... some nice Target grips from the Ruger store.

http://shopruger.com/RLG-Security-Si...uctinfo/19935/
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 18, 2012, 11:08 PM   #12
roaddog28

Nice Police Service Six. I have had mine the longest of any revolver I have ever own. I have bought and sold a herd of revolvers but the one revolver that I still own is my Service Six. That speaks volumes for the Ruger Six series.
Good luck,
Howard
Old November 19, 2012, 11:51 PM   #13
dnsharpshooter

thanks for the link skidder, my dad likes those grips. probably gonna order a set tomorrow.

in other news, i looked up the serial number on rugers website, and she was make in 1982! excellent condition for a 30 year old gun!
Old November 20, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14
skidder

Quote:
thanks for the link skidder
You're welcome.
I think your dad will really like them. I have a pair on my Security Six.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
dnsharpshooter

just ordered a pair last night. will post pics when they get here
Old November 21, 2012, 02:57 PM   #16
skidder

Quote:
just ordered a pair last night.
Yes, it's nice to have both service and target grips on hand.
When I go to the range I install the Target grips. For putting around in the woods... the smaller service grips are real handy.
Old November 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #17
got2hav1

Congrats on the Service Six , you will never miss the Taurus now. +1 on the Ruger target grips too. I had a Security Six some time ago and I did the same thing with the grips. Targets are much better for my hands. What kind of 1911 did your Dad end up with?
Colt OMM, GP100, Colt DS
Old November 21, 2012, 05:46 PM   #18
1 old 0311-1

I have -N-E-V-E-R- found a Pawn Shop gun.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:07 PM   #19
dnsharpshooter

got2hav1 he went with the rock island tactical in .45acp. really nice shooting gun id reccomend it
Old November 27, 2012, 11:15 PM   #20
dnsharpshooter

grips came in today. they dont fit the gun perfectly (stick out a little past the backstrap, and they dont match up perfectly in the area under the tirgger guard), but for 16 bucks with shipping, i cant complain. definately an improvement over the skinny original grips
Old November 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #21
Chris9472

Beautiful Service Six! I love Ruger Revolvers.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:44 AM   #22
DaleA

At one time I just almost automatically ordered Pachmayr grips for any handgun that came my way. They still list the Ruger Service Six at their web site.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/revolver-grip-details.php

I also think you got a great deal on a real workhorse of a revolver.
Old November 28, 2012, 01:15 PM   #23
MagnumWill

Aren't you glad your LGS's couldn't get their crap together long enough for a customer to make a reasonable purchase at their store?

Great looking gun! I hope to find a nice old Smith .44 in those circumstances
Old November 28, 2012, 03:05 PM   #24
skidder

Quote:
grips came in today. they dont fit the gun perfectly (stick out a little past the backstrap, and they dont match up perfectly in the area under the tirgger guard), but for 16 bucks with shipping, i cant complain. definately an improvement over the skinny original grips
Sorry to hear they didn't fit right . I have them on one my Sixes, but I also have some of these rubber ones on my 6" Six. They help with the real crisp 357 loads.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rubsecsixsqu1.html
Old November 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #25
Tinner666

Awesome find! I got a Security Six i the 80's and still have it. Bull barrel and nice shooter, but it got heavy after a few hours of shift duty.