The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
WolfMacabre

Emergency Kit

Ok first attempt at this got closed so let me reword and try again....

Oh and before you go further NO END OF WORLD STUFF!! I'm pureley looking for item lists.

I've seen a couple threads about emergency kits, but they seem to focus around a certain type of emergency (like hurricaine). My question is what would be good to have in an emergency kit that would keep you covered in a wide variety of emergency situations?

Some examples of emergencies might be hurricaine, earthquake, flood, any incident (like a chemical spill or something) that would require you to evacuate on short notice.

Obviously there's the basics: first aid, clothing, water purification tablets, canned foods, maps, compass, important documents, reliable self defense, a means to get food should your supply run out...

I could go on and on.... but does anyone have some suggestions that maybe people typically overlook as an important addition to an emergency kit or perhaps something you think would just be handy to have?

I'm also wondering about storage options in an emergency kit of firearms and ammunition as far as best methods of prolonged storage or even if its a good idea to prolonge storage of a firearm or ammunition. I think I saw a thread a long while ago about life expectansy of ammunition, but don't remember it coming to any conclusion.

Once I get a good list compiled i'll add it to the thread at the end. Thanks!

Last edited by WolfMacabre; March 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
oneounceload

some form of temp shelter - even if it is a space blanket

canned goods get heavy unless you are using a vehicle - if that is the case, then a storage box or two with camping/cooking gear and all the rest are easily transported, including whatever firearms might be necessary
Old March 4, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
lamarw

I would say "Good Neighbors". We have had three major tornados hit in my immediate area within the last ten months.

Before all the emergency kit items, unless you are in an extremely remote area, you probably need the phone number to your insurance company. You can rent a vehicle, buy clothes, and find hotels.

Since it is a gun forum, I would recommend a good side arm. We went into our precautionary area late Friday evening during a tornado warning. The tornado path actually went directly over our home but some how jumped our area and touched down again several miles beyond us. Our area was blessed this time and only had one fatality, but other parts of the State and Country were not so fortunate.

For tornados, you need a safe below ground level shelter. Emergency Management, local fire, police and rescue are on their way immediately after the strike or the disaster. There was a nearby family who's home was badly damaged. They were safe but trapped in a closet. Thankfully they had their cell phone and the emergency folks were there very quickly to free and help them.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Webleymkv

Since we're not talking TEOTWAWKI/Zombies/Red Dawn type situations here, a more realistic thought is enough supplies to last you and your family anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks for a situation more like Hurricane Katrina.

Some good things to have that haven't been mentioned include a small radio so that you can be informed about possible rescue, imminent weather, etc. Flashlights also wouldn't be a bad idea and a good supply of waterproof matches would certainly be handy as well. Some basic tools like a screwdriver and wrench set, a hatchet or axe, and of course a good fixed-blade knife might also prove invaluable. Some extra season/climate appropriate clothing would be helpful (bugging out in the middle of a Minnesota January in your Yoga pants doesn't seem like an ideal situation). Finally, some basic hygiene items such as soap would be a good idea (the most effective way to prevent illness and prevent the spread of infection is hand washing).

A reliable means of transportation would seem very useful. Also, the moment a disaster strikes and you need to leave in a hurry is not a good time to find out that your significant other brought the car home with the gas gauge on empty. A five gallon can of gasoline/diesel wouldn't seem like a bad thing to have around for emergency.

As to firearms and ammunition, something in a reasonably powerful caliber would seem preferable. In a handgun, I'd want 9x19/.38 Special or larger, .223 Remington/5.45x39 or bigger in a rifle, and 20ga or better in a shotgun. I'd also prefer to have at least 100 rounds of ammunition for each firearm I plan to use tucked away in the kit. Also, you will want a firearm that has proven itself reliable with any commonly available ammunition with only rudimentary maintenance. Finally, it would seem logical to me to choose a firearm that not only you, but any member of your family old enough to shoot could be reasonably expected to use if needed.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5
mes227

Here's my minimum kit (I have add'l stuff for the bug-out kit, such as mess kit, compass and so forth):
-Enough long-shelf-life food for your family for a few weeks (and don't forget to provide for pets)
-Water purification system (ceramic filter, iodine pills, UV, etc) and, if you don't have a nearby water source like a lake, an ample supply of water (i.e., 1 gal per person per day)
-Flashlights and abundant extra batteries
-Flashlight & radio (AM/FM/weather) that doesn't need batteries (crank & solar combo ideal)
-Candles & oil or propane lamps
-Alternate power for cell phones (common batter powered recharger or car adaptor)
-Walkie-talkies (in case of a general cell failure and to allow your family to separate but stay in contact)
-Medical kit for serious injuries: suture or staple kit, Rx meds (including antibiotics, anti-inflamitories & painkillers), quick clot pads, splint kits
-Shelter material (duct tape, Visqueen, plastic trash bags, rope, screws, nails, wire ties, electrical repair like electricians tape and wire nuts)
-Basic tools: shovel, axe or hatchet, hammer, pliers, set of wrenches including one for the gas & water supplies
-Gun & ammo (common, light-weight caliber preferred) with rudimentary cleaning & repair kit. One each handgun, rifle and shotgun ideal combo.
-Heat source (propane heater & propane tanks) for prolonged power outage
-Cooking system (like a flex-fuel hiking stove or simply a Coleman stove)
-Fishing supplies
-Fire starting material (if you have a fireplace) and ample wood supply
-Spare gasoline treated with stabilizer (the more the better BUT keep in mind it's hazardous to keep around)
Old March 4, 2012, 11:26 PM   #6
pgdion

A good starting point is the Boy Scouts DEmergency Prepairdness kit. Kind of a general catch all for any emergency.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/...dness/kit.aspx
Old March 5, 2012, 05:28 AM   #7
Bud Helms

Okay, here is the deal. This is a firearms board. We allow some leeway, but there are topics that have shown us they will simply not stay on topic.

Survival kits is completely off topic. The are forums for that subject. TFL is not a survivalist forum.

Quote:
... I'm pureley looking for item lists.

I've seen a couple threads about emergency kits, but they seem to focus around a certain type of emergency (like hurricaine). My question is what would be good to have in an emergency kit that would keep you covered in a wide variety of emergency situations?
The topic of firearms is incidental to the topic of a survival kit.

Firearms needs to be THE topic.

Closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
disaster , emergency , kit