The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 29, 2006, 11:51 AM   #51
gordo b.

Well I've gone to all slugs for antipersonal purposes. Reduced recoil Remington slugs are plenty for the purpose and allow faster "splits" . I can hit a torso to 100 meters, and if you are not armored you are going down!I hit faces very well to 25 meters, which IS the limit of buckshot in the open so it is 'iffy'. Shotguns are very effective in and around buildings, if the barrel is short.Buck shot works well in rooms, but not for hostage shots, which is why I use slugs
I carried an Ithaca 37 LAPD riot gun, sent to me by my dad, in Vietnam in 1968-69 and with US Gubbamint brass 00 rounds, was the envy of many and it worked for me
Old November 29, 2006, 06:31 PM   #52
jeager106

gordo:
I agree completely about the range for buck.
The thread is about the "combat" s.g.
If I were in an urban 'combat' situation I would opt for a proper rifle for many reasons.
However the s.g. can be used to good effect by a well trained and committed individual.
But it is a specialized, not a general purpose, weapon.
Old November 29, 2006, 10:57 PM   #53
RsqVet

Jager --

Somewhere I have some x-rays of one of the nicest yellow labs you ever met that took a load of fine bird shot to the chest at muzzle contact range, dog lived, was adopted by the investigator who taged the sob who did it (he just did not want the dog anymore or was ticked off at it... like a lab is ever hard to find a home for) anyway it's a fantastic set of films because on the latteral it looks like oh my god who could survive that but on the v-d (front to back view) you can see 98% of the pelletts lodged in the chest wall muscles.

Dog did great with little treatment until kept getting an abcess at the site of the primary wound, finally poked around in there and pulled out the plastic shot wad
Old November 30, 2006, 06:46 PM   #54
Daves-got-guns

rsqvet, that is sick that somebody would do that to a non malicous dog, and its how some people are i guess. I think its interesting that those cases, jeager that both incidents had similar shotguns and ammunition. Makes me think twice about a single shot shotgun for a kid, but it is all about carelessness, and in the bgs case just how things turned out. Its a good thing to hear closure on his case though, people like that make me sick and it might sound offcentered but i believe he deserved to die for raping that teenage girl for all that time, and i guess it is a case where karma got the better of him