The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Kevin_d77

CZ Clone Springs

I have an all steel 9mm Baby Eagle that has a few years on it. I am looking to replace all of the springs etc but had a few questions. What are the advantages of increasing or decreasing the spring weight as opposed to the factory? Would decreasing the spring weight in the hammer spring lighten the DA trigger pull? I would like to lighten the trigger a bit as this is strictly a range toy, but I am severely in the beginner stage of working on my guns. I have already replaced the springs in my CZ clone with a "kit" put together from Cajun Gun Works.

Recap: Baby Eagle 9
Want to replace the springs as the gun is nearly 10 years old
Would like to reduce the trigger pull if possible while still keeping reliability

Thank you for your help! I am really looking forward to learning to work on my own guns. Like they say, if you want something done right.....do it yourself!
Old June 4, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
Kevin_d77

The answers don't even have to be necessarily about the Baby Eagel but spring set up in general?

Will reducing hammer spring affect other portions of the gun such as recoil spring or firing pin spring? Any recommendations?
Old June 5, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I dislike replacing springs with after market springs. Reliability may be compromised. Remember that gun makers have engineers who determine what works best with commonly available ammunition. Unless you've got the time and money for that special diet of boolits, a gun may not be 100% reliable with after-market springs.

The Germans test springs and graph the rise as pressure is applied. They seek to stay within a certain curve. Aftermarket companies don't do this. They want to sell stuff. Period.
Old June 5, 2013, 07:39 AM   #4
g.willikers

The springs in a gun are designed to work together and compliment one another.
For example, the main or hammer spring works with the recoil spring for overall effect.
Changing either one can affect feeding and ejecting.
Using a kit, as you said, that's tested and developed, can avoid hassles.
But the only way to know if replacing any spring will have the effect desired, and still keep the gun working, is a matter of trial and error.
In other words, you are doing the R&D.
Old June 5, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Kevin_d77

Hmmm so you only recommend using the factory springs?

Ultimately, which springs affect which functions? Sorry for my ignorance, I am trying to learn.
Old June 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #6
h2otoo

I am no expert here, but will tell ya that after putting a lighter hammer spring in my Ruger KP-89 I got a lighter trigger pull. Also, every now and then I get a light primer strike. So far all with the same brand ammo, but it is there. Seems you gain some and lose some. My 2 cents.

Bob
Old June 5, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
g.willikers

You can use after market springs, but it requires knowing how they work.
To use the previous example, if the trigger/mainspring were changed to a lighter one, to try to reduce trigger weight, the recoil spring might have to be changed to a heavier one so that the gun continues to work.
Change one thing and other things are affected.
For the cz and some clones, the czcustom shop should have info, as will EAA for their similar Witness models.
http://czcustom.com/
http://eaacorp.com/
Old June 5, 2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

The Baby Eagle is a CZ-75 type clone, made with some parts supplied by Tanfoglio of Italy, who import guns into the US under the European American Armory (EAA) label. The Baby Eagle is largely based on the Tanfoglio/EAA Witness.

In these guns, there are three key springs: the recoil spring, the main spring that powers the hammer, and the trigger return spring.

You can replace the trigger return spring with a lighter spring without much effect on the other functions, but with the downside that you might experience failures of the trigger to reset properly.
As long as you thoroughly test the gun and don't have problems with fouling getting into the trigger assembly, you "should" be okay.

It's when you start replacing the recoil spring and main spring that you can get into serious problems.

You can buy new, lighter trigger springs from Wolff Gun Springs, who make OEM springs for most American gun makers.