The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 09:47 AM   #76
BumbleBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Cougars aren't hunters, really, since they tend to sit and wait near water or food until prey shows up.

Wolves are hunters, since they run around in the open and chase down a meal.

Sumpn's wrong with this picture.
Thanks Art, I really liked that one!

Indian weren't real hunters either. They use to chase antelope on horse back around a hill where a new group of mounted Indians would take over the chase & continue this method until the antelope were exhausted. Then stick 'em with a knife or spear.

Those @#$%^&!* cheatin' Indians!! LOL LOL

...bug
Old May 23, 2013, 10:24 AM   #77
buck460XVR

Quote:
Indian weren't real hunters either. They use to chase antelope on horse back around a hill where a new group of mounted Indians would take over the chase & continue this method until the antelope were exhausted. Then stick 'em with a knife or spear.

Musta been a trick they learned from the white man seeing as they didn't have horses until the Europeans hit the Americas.......just sayin'.

There's a big difference in hunting for sport and/or for occasional table fare and the methods one uses to stay alive. Doubt very much if there's anyone here with a computer and an internet connection that's in that boat.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:56 AM   #78
BumbleBug

Quote:
There's a big difference in hunting for sport and/or for occasional table fare and the methods one uses to stay alive. Doubt very much if there's anyone here with a computer and an internet connection that's in that boat.
You got me there. Amen to that brother!

...bug

BTW: I'm enjoying this thread...can't ya tell.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:33 AM   #79
RevGeo

Here in Idaho it is legal to bait for black bear. I've been trying for three seasons now to get a bear over bait with no luck. As far as deer hunting goes I'm in the camp with those that see no difference in planting a food plot and hunting an agricultural area frequented by deer. One place I hunt in the mountains has an old apple tree planted by some homesteaders a long time ago. I always check that spot, but someone is usually there already.
Stand hunting vs still hunting: both are viable, honorable ways to hunt deer. I have never hunted in a state that allows hounds for deer hunting, but if it is legal I see no problem with it.
The point about sport hunting vs subsistence is well taken. There is a big difference. But many of the techniques developed over millenia for subsistence hunting are still used for sport hunting, obviously.
I don't bait for deer, or spray **** on my boots or raise food plots, but those that do in places where they are legal will hear no argument from me.
Hunting should not be a competition, yet without it there would be no B&C or P&Y, now would there?
Good luck and good hunting to all.

George
Old May 23, 2013, 01:16 PM   #80
Keg

Quote:
Thanks Art, I really liked that one!

...bug
Bug....Actually Native Americans(plains indians) used horses and they were expert horsemen....They could outride any white man....They did not learn their hunting skills from the white man....They had been hunting these grounds for 1000's of years..before the white man ever showed....Native Americans were expert hunters....They were opportunistic too....They had to be....They would hunt with any methods they were able to.....
Old May 23, 2013, 02:31 PM   #81
globemaster3

I tire of the judgements cast upon others for their LEGAL methods of taking game.

Bottom line: you don't like a particular method of taking game, you are entitled to your opinion, but don't castigate those who employ those methods.

The arguments are countless: long distance shots vs short distance, bait/food plot/natural food sources, bow technology, stand vs stalk. I am all for discussions on the topic for the purpose of education, but really get annoyed by the "holier than thou" crowd that inevitably shows their colors on these threads. Realize that we have a BIG country, with many different kinds/sizes of game, terrain, challenges. What you do in your little neck of the woods is completely foreign to someone else in theirs. As long as its legal, who cares?

Realize the same tactics, declaring some things wrong because YOU don't like it, are shared by the anti crowd to take our freedoms. If its legal, then respect it! You might not have to agree, but respect it.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old May 23, 2013, 02:37 PM   #82
shortwave

There's a big downside to deer huntin the way the Indians used to far a chasin them.

When I was 16yrs. old I was almost 7ft. tall...years of chasing them deer till they dropped whittled my legs to almost nothing.
Today(many moons later) I'm only 4' 7" and if ya seen me chasin a deer through the woods today, I'd look like a gray haired pygmy goin to crap.
Old May 23, 2013, 04:40 PM   #83
BuckRub

I like to hear hunting stories of people just getting out and hunting (legally). I like to crossbow hunt, compound bow hunt, recurve, pistol, rifle, woods, field, stand, stalking, non baited and baited. I do it all and love it all. I seem people stand while their friends drive them. Some hunt with dogs. It really doesn't matter, what does if its legal or not. I even shot a deer in high fence just for the meat. My friends owns high fence and gets 90 doe permits to take out and let's me help. I don't like the fact of high fence but to each their own. High fence is good for people with disabilitys IMO. But some wouldn't hunt like that. Some rich people do. I really don't care. I hunt the way I want and you hunt the way you want.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:50 PM   #84
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Let's put this go-round to bed. I doubt much of anything new will be posted and I gay-rawn-tee you that the subject will show up again.
Closed Thread