The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Derekc294

Dressing up my Remington 870 Express

Looking for some insight on what mods everyone does or adds on to their shotgun. Appreciate pics also to get a grasp on what yours looks like.
Old April 6, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

Most folk around here aren't in to dress up preferring a functional firearm, Pilgrim and any mods would depend on what you want to use it for.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; April 6, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Derekc294

Looking for more tactical accessories I guess I would say. I'm having a hard time finding where to look. Maybe I should keep this one as is and buy a Mossberg 500 or something that has a pistol grip already.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
chewie146

Which express do you have, exactly? I have a wingmaster, but I slapped a synthetic camo stock on there and a side saddle, and it's my general brush buster around here. It's not a pretty wingmaster, but it was cheap used. If you're looking for "tactical," don't get a pistol grip only. Those are a PITA to use and really are only good for breaching a door. Accuracy is problematic. I'd take a look at Knoxx stocks or speed feed for the rear, and perhaps if you have some cash, a surefire forend.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Lead Express

I have an 870 that I added to my collection last year for HD. It's the standard 870 express tactical with the 2 shot tube extension. I always "dress" up my guns because it gives me something to do and my collection is unique to me.

For HD, you can buy a surefire, but I've always thought it cheaper to buy a fore end with rails to add my own light systems to (mounts are darned cheap). Side saddles are important as well for keeping ammunition close at hand.
If you're looking for something other than a standard stock, several companies sell stocks with pistol grips. Chewie146 is right, though. PGO is a pain in the butt and you'll suffer accuracy without a proper cheek weld.

ATI makes a wide array of accessories, and they're good for the money. I'm a skinny guy at about 155 lbs, and never found the need for recoil reducing butt pads (even with 3" slugs).

ATI's site is here: http://www.atigunstocks.com/65-remington-870

And I have a few pictures of mine with the fore end from them.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Lead Express

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Old April 6, 2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Add wear marks first. Once you know your shotgun like your tongue knows your teeth you'll have a better idea of what your shotgun needs for your mission and use environment.

My HD 870s have extended mags,extended forcing cones, peep sights, good triggers and one has a side saddle. Front sights are enhanced with paint for low light use.

The one with the Side Saddle has a curb weight over 9 lbs.

Another GP 870 helps out with HD when it's not hunting or at the range.

A parts gun named Frankenstein for its motley finishes,it wears a 21" turkey barrel and weighs about 7.25 lbs fully loaded.

I can handle the HD guns well. Long use and still some upper body strength.

But Frankenstein is faster.

Quail gun fast.

Snake fast.

And the lighter weight would mean less fatigue. An extended crisis could make that count a lot.

Practice and THINK. Your mind is the real weapon, the shotgun's an accessory.

Contrary to net myth and magazine covers, most really effectively employed shotguns actually used " In harm's way" are fairly basic.

Think....
Old April 7, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Derekc294

Thanks for the info guys!
Old April 8, 2012, 08:47 AM   #9
EdInk

Get a TacStar side saddle (I like the six round) and some buckshot. That's all you really need for it. If you want a pistol grip stock (not a pistol grip only), Mesa Tactical makes a rather nice one. If you don't want to spend that much money on it then get a Speed III or something similar.
Old April 8, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
EdInk

Also, I forgot to mention that MagPul is coming out with their line of shotgun stuff. (It looks a little weird though.)
Old April 8, 2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Derekc294

Thanks Ed