The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 5, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
"JJ"

Another dog down!!

Went to another new spot this morning!
It was also my Bro-In-Law's first predator hunt.

When we got out of the truck the temp said 13!!
At least it wasn't snowing at the moment!!

Wind was 2-5 mph from the SW. Which didn't work for the place I had picked out last night!

So we adjusted to a corner of a 500 acre or better pasture facing West to try and creat a cross wind. We were in a small stand of tress on a small knoll approximately 40 yards from the fence to the East & 80 yards from the tree lined fence to the South. I must say I was a bit taken back by such looooong sight picture!! I mentally ran through in my head what I would do if I saw one way out there!

My B I L was set up about 5 yrds to my left & facing West. He is hunting with his deer rifle, a .270 short mag! It should be enough, you think? I had hoped to offer him the largest field of view to increase his chances. I told him before I sat down to keep an eye over his shoulder. On the other side of the fence behind us to the East was about 50 acres of planted pines about 12 ft or so tall. Looked like a good bedding/denning area.

I set up facing North watching the fence line.

I place my critter about 40 yrds to the West, sit down & let things settle a bit.

I sound off with a few rabbit calls with no results. I try a series of female invitation howls with a diaphram and as soon as I get it out, BOOM!

I turn to the area in front of B I L, nothing? I turn a bit more to see him & he is turned around backwards!! I look back further and see a fur cyclone!! I jumped up & popped him with the .357. He still was struggling a bit so B I L gave him another short mag sandwich!

DOG DOWN!

We start looking at the tracks in the snow and the coyote was 8 steps from B I L when he turned & first seen it. The dog was at about 15 yards & leaving when the .270 sprayed him across the snow the first time. He said when he saw it the coyote had its mouth open and was starring down the MOJO!! It turned and look at him as soon as B I L seen it. We followed the tracks to find where it came out & was a bit surprised by what we found.

We start walking the tracks and immediately found another set of tracks the came straight out of the pines to about 5 yrds behind us! The trail turned around and left on the same path peeing the whole way! The tracks were no doubt coyote tracks!! We get back on the downed dog's trail and follow it back to the pines as well.

How I didn't see the dog come out of the pines is beyond me. It kind of upset me a bit by not seeing it. I can blaim it on my mask/hat/hood I guess! It came under the fence probably 25 yards down wind of us and crossed another knoll about the same as ours. It should have spoted the MOJO here. It then turned South and headed upwind & crossed behind me to come around side of my B I L. I don't know his pace of approach but I had to be howling when he could see me!

Oh well, just when you think you know what you are doing right!!

B I L with the coyote!!

It was an average size dog. Probably 2 yrs old.

But it did a fine job of helping get the B I L hooked!!

Thanks for looking guys!
Old February 5, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
BIGR

Nice huntng again.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
huntinaz

Sweet! Wish I had time to go out, I'm hoping next saturday.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:26 AM   #4
jimbob86

This is in TEXAS?

Y'all have more snow than we do!
Old February 6, 2011, 12:41 AM   #5
hoghunting

Great hunt. Nothing like close encounters to get the adrenaline pumping.

I'm in N TX - not as far east as you - and will verify temps in the teens, and plenty of ice and snow.
Old February 6, 2011, 09:08 AM   #6
"JJ"

Yep, this weather is crazy!

When Punxsutawney Phil came out last week to see if he could see his shadow in central PA, our temp here in NE Texas was almost half of thiers(aroud 17) & wind chill close to 0!!

Oh well, I also credit it with make our coyotes hungry!!
Thanks guys!
Old February 6, 2011, 05:47 PM   #7
BIGR

Yea, it is due to that global warming.......