The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 15, 2009, 01:10 AM   #1
rodwhaincamo

44 Mag hard cast loads

I own a Taurus Tracker 44 Mag and was told by the manufacturer that it can't handle above SAAMI spec loads. Seems all I find in hard cast is either uber magnum or something like a Spl +P. Anyone know of a manufacturer that has a standard mag load or will make an affordable special run?
Old October 15, 2009, 01:34 AM   #2
hardluk1

Go to federal and buffalo bore and you will see they make saami spec loads,no +P unless you want it . Just pay attention to the more info section at the sites. You will love what a hardcast does to sholder shot hogs. If a heavy hunting /defence against bear you might contact the companies to. Federals Barnes load is a sure thing to stay in one piece and buff has many choices for kick a** ammo. Good luck on your choice
Old October 15, 2009, 08:20 AM   #3
kraigwy

A bit off topic,

BUT WHY WOULD SOMEONE MAKE A 44 MAG THAT WONT SHOOT 44 MAG SHELLS?
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 15, 2009, 08:39 AM   #4
rodwhaincamo

Kraig

Not sure I understand, but I think you are saying why would anyone make a 44 Mag that can't handle all 44 Mag rounds. I was disappointed when I found out my Tracker couldn't handle the uber magnum loads that some make, especially since they seem to make their best penetrating loads that way. I have to be certain of what I feed "Gretchen!" The Tracker is a midsize frame with 5 shots. Fits perfect in a medium frame holster for a 357.
Old October 15, 2009, 09:39 AM   #5
andrewstorm

44 mag hard cast loads

Buy u.s.a. made firearms,and you wont have these problems,its the true blue, thing to do.RUGER ,SMITH&WESSON ,COLT ,DONT ACCEPT SUBSITUTES!

Last edited by andrewstorm; October 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old October 15, 2009, 10:30 AM   #6
rodwhaincamo

$ was an object, and it was a gift (of my choosing-gun show). I wasn't aware of the shortcomings otherwise I'd have had a friend take a close look at the used Redhawk. It had a deep gash above the cylinder. Seems very difficult to put that deep of a gash in a stainless pistol so I figured it must have been really abused so I passed. The Ruger was only $20 more, but firm on the price. The barrel was 7 1/2" and I wanted around a 6" for hog defense. Wanted something I could draw quickly and wield easily. And the ported barrel, which at first I thought was rediculous, grew on me the hours I walked around at the gun show figuring it may help with heavy loads if I were to need to fire rapidly. I have this fear of being charged by a 400# tank with short swords! A standard powered 44 Mag is still enough I think, though I'm a more's better American. Just found that it's so hard to find hard casts in that power spectrum. Never researched much about revolver oriented things so I was very niave. Figured a heavy HP would do just fine, and then read many stories of many many 44 rounds being dumped into hogs without stopping them. Even from rifles, which has similar power to a handgun out at 100 yds.
Old October 15, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Rigby1962

If by uber loads your talking about the +P+ from Buffalo Bore and Garret they are within SAAMI specs. Their increased performance is because of cylinder length not higher pressure. The bullet is set out to the maximum cylinder length there by increasing the powder room. Ruger and Dan Wessons’ can handle the extra length.
Old October 15, 2009, 11:10 AM   #8
mavracer

how about these
http://georgia-arms.com/new44remmag2...ter1000pk.aspx
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 15, 2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Dr. A

Time to start reloading. Its very simple to get good 250gr. 1200fps loads with the 44 special case. You can do it through Lee's equipment for less than two boxes of your special Buffalo Bore. You could easily get by with 1000fps as well.
Old October 15, 2009, 12:40 PM   #10
rodwhaincamo

Trying to convince the woman to get me a setup. I lost my job just before my daughter was born and have become daddy day care. It's been kinda cool, but I'm becoming stir crazy and tired of being the house keeper. Not to mention I'm somewhat old school in that I feel a man's place is at work. I'm just going to have to apply more pressure on her and get brochures to lay around the apartment!
Old October 15, 2009, 01:27 PM   #11
mtnbkr

Quote:
The Tracker is a midsize frame with 5 shots. Fits perfect in a medium frame holster for a 357.
That's the price you pay for a smaller gun.

You might try this: http://georgia-arms.com/44remmag240g...tter-50pk.aspx

When you get set up to reload, try 10gr Unique and a 250gr SWC. That should be good for about 1200fps and safe for your gun.

Chris
Old October 15, 2009, 01:28 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

Try ammoengine.com and look for cast or jacketed soft points from 270 gr - 320 gr.

With a heavy bullet in a large caliber you don't need extreme velocity. A 300 gr SP going 1,000 fps is plenty.

Speer, Grizzly, Federal, Corbon and DoubleTap all make ammo in this category. Cabelas looks like a good place to start.

Or start reloading. The .44 Mag was the cartridge that got me started reloading 20 years ago with a Lee Challenger press.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 15, 2009, 09:23 PM   #13
treg

Uncle Elmer recommended SJSP's to those who didn't reload in his day. I believe there are some reasonably priced standard loads with those bullets.

BTW those Trackers are neat .44's. Just wish they made them w/o ports.
Old October 16, 2009, 10:42 AM   #14
rodwhaincamo

Thanks guys!
Old October 16, 2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Dr. A

Before you do go out and get reloading equipment, the typical bullet we're all talking about is the famous "Keith" SWC. With a self cast version of this that is seated at its normal place, I still think the OAL of the cartridge is to great for your gun. You would want to consider the 44 Special cases, or perhaps seating the bullet low enough to work and decreasing your data compensatorily.
Old October 16, 2009, 02:15 PM   #16
NWPilgrim

The Speer jacketed SP 300 gr has a cannelure such that it is seated at standard .44 mag overall length. Whatever factory ammo you consider, just check with the vendor or manufacturer as to the ammo's cartridge overall length to make sure it is within SAAMI standards.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 18, 2009, 04:41 AM   #17
nickE10mm

im almost 100% positive that all of the ammo at Doubletapis standard pressure. Www.doubletapammo.com
Old October 18, 2009, 07:55 AM   #18
Edward429451

Those Trackers are neet guns. Like was said, look around for a 250 gr Keith at 1200 and if you can fire them in the gun without too much discomfort, you're set.

My friend has one of those he bought for AK bear backup (pilot) but didn't have time to go shooting with it so I don"t know how it shoots.

oh yeah, and start reloading!